Advanced search

Job titles abroad and how they correlate to UK

(4 Posts)
metimeisforwimps Wed 27-Jan-16 15:41:47

Have seen a job I want to apply for in Qatar. The advert is for assistant/associate/full professor. Does any one know if that directly equates to UK research assistant, research associate, professor levels?
If looking in the UK I would be looking for associate jobs.

disquisitiones Wed 27-Jan-16 16:22:44

Assistant professor - UK lecturer/senior lecturer

Associate professor - UK senior lecturer/reader (lots of UK institutions now use the terminology associate professor)

Full professor - UK professor

Research assistants and research associates are research only positions so hard to compare directly. The most senior research associate positions at my university is on a scale comparable to lecturer/senior lecturer, and most research assistants are on scales below lecturer, but I don't think this is universal.

MultishirkingAgain Wed 27-Jan-16 20:24:34

They're using US terminology from the looks of it. disquisitiones has translated it as I would - I'd add that, IME in the US, Assistant Professor is pre-tenure, And Associate Professor is the tenured rank.

metimeisforwimps Mon 01-Feb-16 11:30:05

Thanks for the info, that's really useful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: