Talk

Advanced search

How to boost academic profile when in a practical job?

(6 Posts)
Viewofhedges Fri 08-Jan-16 11:57:46

I am a self employed practitioner of a practical subject that is taught in most universities. Over the last 10 years I've done various bits of teaching, being on pitch panels, that sort of thing. Last spring I was invited by a Uni where I regularly do bits and bobs to apply for a part time teaching job which I was then turned down for after interview due to lack of experience. Last autumn they asked me to come in and teach a first year module - 2x lectures each Friday for the whole term as the usual staff member was off sick. I did this, it went well and I had only good feedback. They then had another job advertised which I applied for - and was also got turned, with the same reason given. I have of course asked the Head of School if they will chat to me about how to improve my chances - but I wondered what else I could do to be more teaching friendly? I don't think I can do a PGCAP without being a staff member, can I? FWIW the job adverts heavily stressed industry experience over teaching experience, so it wasn't as if I was applying for something way over my head. I also have an Oxbridge MA. Any advice gratefully received.

(Also am I being right in being pissed off / should be annoyed on my students' behalf that I'm good enough to teach but - er - not good enough to teach?)

MarasmeAbsolu Fri 08-Jan-16 18:20:51

how crap sad - it is of course field dependent, and I can give you perspective on mine (biomed / med sci):

- get invited guest lectures; those are not always forthcoming, but when I coordinate my course, I am always delighted when someone offers to give a seminar.
- engage in co-supervision of students (from a practice point of view) - again, I love it when external people provide real-world research experience for students projects (students love it too).
- if you have an interest in scholarship / learning and teaching research in your field, think about way to carry out research in collaboration with a young and ethusiastic collab from whichever uni - in biomed, there is not enough of this done, esp. at the interface with practice
- become a vocational study tutor / a mentor / a STEM ambassador if applicable
- join your subject learned society and ask about committees opportunities (they are often not filled in my field)

cannot think more, but Friday: brain fried!

MedSchoolRat Fri 08-Jan-16 19:15:23

My Uni has teaching lectureships, not expected to have a research background or undertake hardly any research. As opposed to Research-Faculty (lecturers whose majority duties are getting research grants/pubs). Every dept. has both these positions.

disquisitiones Fri 08-Jan-16 20:05:34

Every dept. has both these positions.

No, a lot of departments only hire REF (research) active staff, who have at least a PhD and usually a number of years research experience post PhD. I've actually never been in a department which had teaching only positions.

Not that this seems to be particularly relevant to OP, since the feedback was lack of teaching experience not lack of research/PhD.

MedSchoolRat Fri 08-Jan-16 20:12:06

Oops! Sorry, my Bad. I meant every dept has both these positions at my university. So there might be a university like that near OP.

And I really misread OP coz I didn't realise it was more teaching experience needed.

It's been a long day... Time to cuddle up with a crime novel, I think.

MarasmeAbsolu Fri 08-Jan-16 20:48:15

... or the bottle of wine. I've already made my choice grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now