Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hold my hand and wish me well?

(7 Posts)
AnythingThatWorks Mon 09-Nov-15 15:34:11

I have applied for an academic position for which the closing date was Friday.
I applied to the same place earlier in the year and didn't get called for interview but was called and asked if they could keep my CV on file and that there may be suitable positions coming up later in the year so I am pretty hopeful for at least an interview out of this.
Also am shitting myself.
It would be a big move for me in many ways - have been out of my academic area for a few years so a big change there. Also, this job would complicate family life what with being in another country to the one I live in at the moment and DH just getting a new job here...but we would figure that out and he is supportive.

So....when do I start to bed down into disappointment. I am thinking that if I am to be called for interview, it should be by the end of the week really, giving them this week to review applications? Interviews are supposed to be the week of the 23rd so I do think it would be this week they would be notifying people.

MedSchoolRat Mon 09-Nov-15 19:19:38

End of week is about right, but really it depends how slow their HR is & how slow the interview panel are. We (min. 2-3 on the interview panel) have to score candidates on a checklist. Then confer to decide who to interview and then tell HR our decision; HR move on their own, possibly glacial, timescale. That's for an RA job, so maybe faculty positions require even more process & procedure even to get a short list.

Our HR insist on giving candidates a week's notice for interviews, and will move expected interview dates rather than change that policy. So If you don't hear by end of the week you may still be interviewed, just later than they originally said.

AnythingThatWorks Mon 09-Nov-15 19:31:39

Thanks MedSchoolRat.

I know that with the job I was NOT called for interview for, I heard 3 weeks after the closing date, on a Monday. I assume that they contacted the people for interview the week before. Interviews were to be about 3 weeks after that...blah blah blah....am clearly over-thinking here but I imagine that the end of the week is the time to start closing the door on this one!!

Thanks for replying! It's so much on my mind and I am excited at the prospect of getting back to my academic roots! (and geographical, as it happens!)

BuffytheScaryFeministBOO Wed 11-Nov-15 13:32:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnythingThatWorks Wed 11-Nov-15 16:32:09

Thank you - working day 3 post application closure.
I have found a house to buy in the country the job is in and a school for the DCs.

I am a bit scared of how hopeful I am for this job 'cause I am going to be gutted if I don't get it but I am also glad I have put myself out there and it's letting me see what I really want from life.

AimUnder Fri 13-Nov-15 22:31:48

Fingers crossed for you! I hope you get it smile

hefzi Sun 15-Nov-15 00:50:40

Don't give up hope too quickly, though - we publish the dates of interviews, but because we are hopelessly inefficient at senior management level very busy, these are often pushed back by weeks, and it's not uncommon for interviews to be called six weeks or more after the deadline :-/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now