Talk

Advanced search

Page 9 | Neighbour complaining about my children's noise playing in the garden

(227 Posts)
IlanaK Wed 19-May-10 21:10:54

We just moved into a garden flat after not having a garden for most of my children's lives. We have had landscape gardener's in for two weeks and they are now mostly finished transforming the garden. The garden is over 100ft and we have divided it into areas. There is a bark chipped area near the back (though not right at the back) where we have put the trampoline. At the back of our garden is the garden to another house which is side on to ours (so you come out of our place, turn right and right again onto a side road and theirs is the first house so it runs perpendicular to our garden if that makes sense). Their garden is quite small and they have an extension that is not that far from the boundary between our gardens.

Today the man that lives there came to complain about the noise my children were making. He works from home in the extension and says they are too noisy on the trampoline and he can't hear to make phone calls.

My kids are aged almost 9, almost 6 and almost 2. They are all boys and we moved to this place specifically for the garden space. I home school my children so they are in the garden during the day on and off between about 9am and 5pm. The last three days we have had friends around so it has been noisier than usual. I did explain all this to the man. He said he thought we were running a nursery here! I assured him I was not!

So,he wants us to move the trampoline. He says that we only put it at the back of the garden to keep the noise away from our house (NOT TRUE!). I am unwilling to move it as we have specifically safety surfaced that area for it. I asked if there were specific times of day that he would prefer them not to be playing there - he said no as he works all day. He also mentioned his need to relax in his garden at the weekend.

So, what would you do? Would you move the trampoline? WOuld you ask your kids to be quiet when they are out there? Or would you ignore him?

OP’s posts: |
WineAndTiramisu Sat 08-Jul-17 20:16:41

I'm pretty sure this is sorted now, seeing as out was 7 years ago!

* ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT*

babybell89 Sun 09-Jul-17 17:58:06

Usually I would say ignore if it was past 4pm or on weekends but if it's during the day when most children are at school he will be going mental.
I work from home and if they distrusted me long enough I would be putting in complaints to get it dealt with.

He may be a grumpy arse and it does suck but maybe school your children during the day and let them play on an evening and weekend.

babybell89 Sun 09-Jul-17 17:58:48

Also tell your children to play quietly between those hours or your going to have a lot of angry neighbors

goodnessidontknow Sun 09-Jul-17 18:10:10

I think trampolines in suburban gardens are inconsiderate anyway but your post suggests they are out there making noise during the day when he is working and it would be reasonable to expect children to be in school.
I would suggest that trampoline use is restricted to late afternoon. That way he can work in relative peace and the children get to play at a time that would be expected/normal in a family neighbourhood.

goodnessidontknow Sun 09-Jul-17 18:12:12

Sorry just added to the zombie thread!

conserveisposhforjam Sun 09-Jul-17 18:15:29

Why does this thread get resurrected once a year? Is there really a shortage of 'my kids make a noise in the garden - AIBU' threads to use to give someone a kicking on? Really?

Helendee Tue 11-Jul-17 23:19:27

Make them go inside if they're too noisy, they soon learn to keep the racket down.

No one wants to stop kids having fun but neighbours also have the right to not have to put up with high levels of screaming and shouting.

Elljane123 Tue 12-Sep-17 20:29:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ttbb Tue 12-Sep-17 20:34:45

Just ask your children to make a little less noise maybe or restrict times when you let them use the trampoline? How loud can they be?

pablobrad Sun 22-Jul-18 19:36:42

How delightful to see so many thoughtful, considerate neighbours here who simply say "Ignore him" and "Grumpy sod". Heres an idea, how about bringing your kids up to respect other people? I know its quite a novel idea nowadays but...Or is that against the rules of "my childhood was too strict so I just let my kids do what they want"? All kids make a noise, its a fact, and so they should. They have voices and they should be encouraged to use them....intelligently! But at the same time, to not discipline them in what is and isn't acceptable behaviour in a decent neighbourhood is just lazy and shows parents up for what they are. Nobody seriously expects kids to be doormice but for the love of god, if theyre constantly shrieking justy for the sake of it, show some gumption and tell them to think about others every now and then!

Motoe Tue 27-Aug-19 17:51:20

Those of you who make fun of people who suffer because of a gang of children screaming, how long have you yourself had to put up with the kind of noise?

It is horrible how many people raise their children, to ignore other people's pain or cause it just because you can.

It is like, in the past, men were supposed to need sex more than women had the right to say no, and women weren't equal.

Well words and noise may hurt more than physical violance. Why should children be allowed to make noise next to someone's home or anywhere where there is another living creature.

No reason at all. And you who started this complain about your neighbour's kids swearing, well, they don't hurt anybody on purpose when swearing, it is propably just a habit. You on the other hand, have considered this matter carefully, and decided to respect the neighbors next to your own home but decided to disrespect the man opposite your back yard, a horrible way to raise children.

And still so common. As long as we pretend that children's noise is something that is a triviality or someone complaining about it is a laughing stock, there are people who exploit this. I have had people one after anorher push their children as close to my house they can, tell them to scream, and all the time pretending to be my victim.
A couple with two kids started recruiting people to harass me and my family on purpose, it has lasted more than a decade and my children are affected, their health, my health,since the number of people participating is huge, this targeting is very serious.

They , these manipulative predators, the couple who started this, would have found other ways to harass me, to mob me, to have me targeted .

but because people like to say they like children, and this couple had their children playing my victims, I have been helpless, with dozens of people trying to make my life and the life of my innocent children unbearable, sabotage it every way they can.

This is what mobbing does, it often kills you and I am exhausted with worry what this does to my children, who have suffered because of this game of these wealthy people with connections, engineers, it personnel, ceo:s, kindergarten teachers..., the fun these people are having, making noise with power tools for years when we try to go out, gather in front of our house making a hell of a noise, it has been constant noise since this couple started their recruiting business, in 2009. But they had propably started their stalking, organised harassment, long before i realised, by spreading gossip and trying to make noise on purpose and incite hate against me on some pretext.

Motoe Tue 27-Aug-19 17:56:37

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobbing

Forgot this, what mobbing/organised harassment/ organised terrorism by multiple perpetrators does to you. It is a wonder, i an alive, or my children.

Dieu Tue 27-Aug-19 17:58:50

How is he being a 'selfish cock?' hmm
Having children should never make one so entitled.
They must have been making a lot of noise for him to complain. Most people don't find it easy to do that.

Dieu Tue 27-Aug-19 18:04:49

Oh, and my children have a trampoline. If they have friends round, and they are shrieking on it, I ask them to keep the noise down. If it happens again, I give them a warning. Third time, they are brought inside.
Normal voices, laughing, having fun ... all great. Anything louder is not ok.
Why should my children trump the neighbours' need for a bit of peace and quiet.

SistersOfPercy Tue 27-Aug-19 18:17:04

ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIEZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE ZOMBIE

Neighbour is now dead and kids are at University....

Motoe Wed 28-Aug-19 05:30:52

I think this topic has importance in general.

It is a question of how even educated parents are not horrofied to learn that they are making somebody's life a living hell and do everything they can to prevent it.

Kids noise is the moat disturbing voice in general.
In stead these parents feel entitled and what makes their behavior very repugnant is that like the woman who started this thread, she knows she is making somebody's life a hell and has even chosen not to upset her other neighbours but it is ok to upset this one.

I am wondering whether team sports that are more popular now, are the reason.

Do you in team sports, football, etc, evaluate who is who and has she or he support from others etc. You don't just respect everybody. Full stop.

Tambuktu Tue 19-May-20 23:18:41

Equally you could ask since when do DC use of noisy toy outweigh the rights of other (working, mortgage paying, tax paying) adults to enjoy their own homes and hear their own phone calls? I think people understand the toddler phase, but the repetitive squeak from a trampoline is torture indeed. How about a little compromise? Agree a limited time per day with neighbour when DC use the trampoline? DC keep toy, neighbour keeps sanity.

Babyroobs Wed 20-May-20 00:33:19

I can sympathise with your neighbour as someone who is trying to work from home and needs to make frequent phone calls to clients whilst constantly being distracted by the neighbours kids who scream / fight/ trampoline most of the day.

Trumpton Wed 20-May-20 00:57:35

ZOMBIE THREAD

Aclh13 Wed 20-May-20 02:00:05

Ignore him Unless you are renting.. In which case I would be very careful about noise he could quite easily get you removed.

Tambuktu Fri 22-May-20 11:45:33

So you suggest only doing the right thing if they might get evicted, not doing the right thing because it’s the right thing to do?

garfieldisacat Fri 22-May-20 14:05:28

Move the trampoline. It's about compromise. I'm childless and teaching from home it is so frustrating when it is noisy.

CoolShoeshine Fri 22-May-20 15:04:54

Ha ha 10 year old thread - kids are now teens probably playing xbox all day in lockdown, problem sorted

Tambuktu Sun 24-May-20 17:59:07

Doesn’t really matter how old the thread is. As someone else pointed out, it’s clearly still relevant, regardless of whether discussing OP or a similar, current situation.

LilyR2019 Fri 21-Aug-20 17:21:11

IllanaK - since when did a child's whims become more important than an adult's need for peace & quiet?????.....

Maybe thinking about the entire community is more appropriate than what just thinking about what YOU want?...or perhaps you're deliberately teaching your children to be selfish & entitled..................if so, 10 years on from your post, I certainly hope you're reaping the "benefits" of this.......

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in