Lemon whipped cream

(14 Posts)
miltonj Thu 25-Nov-21 17:39:26

Basically the country I live in doesn't sell sour cream, so I tried to make it by whipping double cream and putting lemon juice in it..... it didn't work!

It would be an absolute crime to put this concoction on a fajita! However it does taste very nice, sweet, floaty, tangy... anyone got any ideas of what I could do with it baking wise?

OP’s posts: |
Isseywith3witchycats Thu 25-Nov-21 17:45:09

Make a plain victoria sponge and use it as the filling with some lemon curd

miltonj Thu 25-Nov-21 18:00:01

Good idea, Victoria sponge is one of my faves, husband thinks I'm right boring for it!

Brusca Thu 25-Nov-21 18:09:38

Or scones.

Perhaps use a thick yoghurt for your fajitas.

JumpingFrogs Thu 25-Nov-21 18:15:47

A tip for future reference - when I don't have sour cream I combine roughly equal quantities of plain yogurt and double cream. Hope you find something delicious to do with the lemon whipped cream!

PermanentTemporary Thu 25-Nov-21 18:17:40

Maybe have a look at a syllabub recipe - it's a while since I made it but I think if you add a drop of Madeira (i don't have any, maybe ginger ale or rum instead) you've got a perfect 17th century pudding.

rifling Thu 25-Nov-21 18:20:47

I don't know where you are but if you have Russian or Polish shops you might find it there next time.

Advertisement

MenaiMna Thu 25-Nov-21 19:02:05

I usually sub creme fraiche for sour cream in these circumstances - can you get that? What about quark? If you're trying to do tex-mex or South American a lime is better for flavour. If I need to sour cream for eating cold I'd use cider vinegar not lemon. For baking (heating after) I'd use lemon.

miltonj Thu 25-Nov-21 20:01:18

JumpingFrogs

A tip for future reference - when I don't have sour cream I combine roughly equal quantities of plain yogurt and double cream. Hope you find something delicious to do with the lemon whipped cream!

That's a great tip, thanks. Just used normal total Greek yog but I'll try that next time!

miltonj Thu 25-Nov-21 20:01:48

rifling

I don't know where you are but if you have Russian or Polish shops you might find it there next time.

Ooh I think we do have an Eastern European supermarket, good idea!

miltonj Thu 25-Nov-21 20:03:04

MenaiMna

I usually sub creme fraiche for sour cream in these circumstances - can you get that? What about quark? If you're trying to do tex-mex or South American a lime is better for flavour. If I need to sour cream for eating cold I'd use cider vinegar not lemon. For baking (heating after) I'd use lemon.

As far as I'm aware, no creme fraiche here either, but I'm still getting used to what everything is called and how shops are laid out! Thanks for the tip though!

miltonj Thu 25-Nov-21 20:03:24

Brusca

Or scones.

Perhaps use a thick yoghurt for your fajitas.

Great idea 💡

miltonj Thu 25-Nov-21 20:04:55

PermanentTemporary

Maybe have a look at a syllabub recipe - it's a while since I made it but I think if you add a drop of Madeira (i don't have any, maybe ginger ale or rum instead) you've got a perfect 17th century pudding.

See I would have never thought of that! So I'm glad I posted grin

Subbaxeo Thu 25-Nov-21 20:09:57

You can make a good fake sour cream by adding lemon juice to single cream. Stir and leave for a bit-it will thicken like sour cream and is a good substitute.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in