Subclinical Hyperthyroid

(8 Posts)
IfOnlyOurEyesSawSouls Wed 24-Nov-21 23:19:40

Hello

Are there any health care professionals around?

Or people with similar experience?

I have for a while felt really off colour , very fatigued, really struggling to concentrate, panicky , anxious , agitated and sweaty , warm / clammy , out of breath ...

My GP took my bloods and my TSH is 0.02 - my T3 and T4 are within range.

GP is following guidance and wants to recheck them in 2 months, but i just feel so very awful i can't imagine feeling like this another 2 months.

Am I imagining the impact that it could be having on me ?

I would be so grateful for support.

OP’s posts: |
IfOnlyOurEyesSawSouls Thu 25-Nov-21 13:35:42

Bump

minipie Thu 25-Nov-21 13:44:18

Hi, I’m not a healthcare professional but we have overactive thyroid in the family (not me mine is underactive).

It definitely does affect how you feel, anxiety and racing heart for example.

If you want things to move quicker you could ask for repeat tests sooner and/or you might be able to be prescribed something in the meantime to help you feel better eg beta blockers. Not sure whether these would mess with the repeat blood tests though.

I would also be asking to get a referral to an endocrinologist

IfOnlyOurEyesSawSouls Thu 25-Nov-21 16:02:27

Thankyou @minipie thats kind.

IfOnlyOurEyesSawSouls Thu 25-Nov-21 22:55:51

Bump

freshflowers2 Thu 25-Nov-21 23:12:48

It's pretty well known that NHS guidance for acceptable thyroid hormone levels is way broader than the levels at which most people will feel ok.

We have a tendency to hyperthyroidism in my family too (Graves' disease) and I can certainly identify with the symptoms you describe.

If you feel pushy enough, go back to GP and say you're unable to cope, please can they start you on medication sooner rather than later.. I had to push mine- she wouldn't even take bloods and said come back when you feel really awful! (Which I already did but maybe didn't stress the point enough).

May not be a popular opinion but given the current state of GPs and hospitals, in your shoes I'd probably do some googling and go and see a private endocrinologist in the next week or two. If you have the means.

IfOnlyOurEyesSawSouls Thu 25-Nov-21 23:31:58

I think you are spot on @freshflowers2 - thankyou .

Advertisement

Jbck Fri 26-Nov-21 00:20:47

Might be different where you are, Im in Scotland, but labs wont retest within 6 weeks here so at most you’d get rechecked 2 weeks earlier but Id be pushing for treatment.
I had Graves as a young woman and it took months of visiting the GP to get a diagnosis and it only came up as I saw a different GP in the practice when I had developed a goitre. GP said results were atrocious and he didn’t know how I’d coped for them to have got to such levels.
Push for another appt to discuss treatment now.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in