Sending Christmas Treats to the USA

(14 Posts)
AutumnAlmanack Thu 28-Oct-21 08:49:25

I have agreed with a mutual friend to send a box of British Christmas treats to a lady in the USA in exchange for something I want. This person has 2 kids of 9 and 12 and I would really appreciate suggestions for what to include in the parcel. I was thinking maybe mince pies, good quality hot chocolate, a bread sauce mix, Colin the Caterpillar mini rolls, personalised Dairy Milk bars, Turkish Delight, a very 'British' tree decoration, Stollen bites. Anyone got some good ideas, please?

OP’s posts: |
IggyAce Thu 28-Oct-21 08:53:42

Christmas pudding, good quality tea, Percy pigs, shortbread.

Ricekrispie22 Thu 28-Oct-21 09:54:33

Terry’s chocolate orange, Twiglets, Cadbury mini snowballs, quality street the purple one, Christmas Kinder surprise, Milky Bar festive friends, Maltesers reindeer

YoungGiftedPlump Thu 28-Oct-21 10:51:31

No chocolate- it is illegal to import into the USA and will be destroyed.

pollyannaperspective Thu 28-Oct-21 11:58:24

Over the past 5 years I have sent several parcels containing chocolate to the US with customs forms attached and completed stating chocolate in the parcel. They have all arrived safely.

sonsmum Thu 28-Oct-21 12:08:47

You need to consider the weight of your goods or it will be extremely pricey to send!!

AutumnAlmanack Thu 28-Oct-21 12:22:56

YoungGiftedPlump

I've just checked the regulations and it says it's OK to send chocolate items as a 'personal gift' so a few bits should be no trouble, I hope!

Advertisement

AutumnAlmanack Thu 28-Oct-21 12:24:03

sonsmum

You need to consider the weight of your goods or it will be extremely pricey to send!!

The item I am hoping to receive from the USA will cost $100 to ship to the UK so I am expecting to spend £50 and pay £50 for shipping (have checked the courier websites).

YoungGiftedPlump Thu 28-Oct-21 13:53:21

www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending-uk/sending-food-usa

FaaarkinEll Thu 28-Oct-21 13:57:08

YoungGiftedPlump

This isn't true I used to ship chocolate all the time. Make sure you are very very clear on the customs label that percy pigs are sweets. Christmas cake used to get confiscated so again be precise in the labelling

MoreThanAnOffDay Thu 28-Oct-21 14:45:38

Orange and lemon jelly slices things?
York fruits

Beachhuts90 Thu 28-Oct-21 19:09:39

I'm American and my parents always love to go nuts at m&s when they visit. Last time's top hits here french fancies, Bombay mix, and chocolate oranges.

AutumnAlmanack Fri 29-Oct-21 08:26:00

I'd also appreciate some advice for small gifts for the 2 boys (9 and 14). Their mother would like some 'fun, traditional items' not available in the US. Any ideas please?

AutumnAlmanack Fri 29-Oct-21 08:27:07

@FaaarkinEll - do you have to list every item individually on the customs label, even though it is a personal gift?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in