I want to eat pasta carbonara. I need a good recipe.

(70 Posts)
ApolloandDaphne Thu 22-Jul-21 14:50:30

I am having a notion for carbonara. The delicious creamy, bacony sort you get in an Italian restaurant. I've never made it before. Can anyone give me a foolproof and unctuous recipe? Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
ZooeyS Thu 22-Jul-21 14:51:57

Nigella's from Feast is my go to. It's delicious.

ApolloandDaphne Thu 22-Jul-21 14:53:52

Thank you. I will see if I can access that online.

vladtheimp27547 Thu 22-Jul-21 14:55:39

1 egg plus 3 yolks. About 4 tbsp of cream. Lots of parmesan and some black pepper. Mix it all together and then mix into freshly cooked pasta and crispy bits of bacon.

Shurl Thu 22-Jul-21 14:57:52

Just fry up chopped up pancetta until crispy. Boil pasta. Whisk eggs (1 large egg per person makes slightly too much imo) and parmeasan together in a bowl with lots of black pepper. When pasta cooked, drain and put back in hot pan. Add the crispy pancetta and pour over the egg mix (not on the heat).

Whisk until egg mix cooked silky smooth over pasta. If you are a bit slow, or there is lots of sauce, you sometimes need to give the pan a bit of a boost on the hob to cook through.

Shurl Thu 22-Jul-21 14:58:55

Honestly, if you use good eggs it's super rich and creamy. You definitely don't need cream.

ReviewingTheSituation Thu 22-Jul-21 15:00:03

I came on to give the exact same recipe as @Shurl. Too many recipe books overcomplicate it and add things which would make Italians weep.

Advertisement

ReviewingTheSituation Thu 22-Jul-21 15:01:06

We sometimes make it with smoked salmon rather than bacon/pancetta. I KNOW that's not carbonara, but it's a similar ilk, and equally delicious. I leave the parmesan out if using salmon.

LazyMareofEastown Thu 22-Jul-21 15:01:16

Guardian's recipe has never let me down. Imo the secret to an amazing carbonara is in the quality of your component parts so when I'm making it I buy the best ingredients I can afford.

LazyMareofEastown Thu 22-Jul-21 15:01:43

P.s. there is no cream in a carbonara.

HotToddyColdSauvignon Thu 22-Jul-21 15:02:15

Carbonara should not have cream in it!!! Scandal!!

Op, it’s crispy pancetta, eggs yolks, black pepper and spaghetti.

Make sure you turn the heat off the pan before you add the eggs, or they’ll scramble. Basically the heat of the cooked spaghetti warms through the egg yolk to make “creamy” sauce you’re thinking of.

If you want to be a heathen then add a dollop of cream or creme fraiche but it’s not the traditional way

TheAwfuITruth Thu 22-Jul-21 15:02:28

Same as Shurl, with the tiny difference that I flatten a clove of garlic with the back of knife, and have that frying in the pan with the pancetta (remove before pasta goes in)

Geamhradh Thu 22-Jul-21 15:02:56

Dh (Italian chef)
1 whole egg plus 1 yolk for 2, 2 yolks for 3
Fry your pancetta/bacon in butter
Remove from heat
Cook your pasta
Beat your egg with lots of black pepper
Drain your pasta but keep a ladle of the water
Add your pasta to your bacon, chuck your egg mix and pasta water in and quickly mix it, on the heat (but v v quickly or the egg will scramble)

LazyMareofEastown Thu 22-Jul-21 15:04:19

Mind you, If this thread goes the way of so many other MN Italian dishes treads, someone will be along soon to say they put an oxo cube and some Lea & Perrins in 🤣

ApolloandDaphne Thu 22-Jul-21 15:07:15

I'm aware it shouldn't have cream in it but I could swear it is normally very garlicky.

ApolloandDaphne Thu 22-Jul-21 15:08:16

Geamhradh

Dh (Italian chef)
1 whole egg plus 1 yolk for 2, 2 yolks for 3
Fry your pancetta/bacon in butter
Remove from heat
Cook your pasta
Beat your egg with lots of black pepper
Drain your pasta but keep a ladle of the water
Add your pasta to your bacon, chuck your egg mix and pasta water in and quickly mix it, on the heat (but v v quickly or the egg will scramble)

This sounds perfect.

LazyMareofEastown Thu 22-Jul-21 15:08:38

Yep you fry squashed garlic cloves off with the meat and then remove.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 22-Jul-21 15:10:39

TheAwfuITruth

Same as Shurl, with the tiny difference that I flatten a clove of garlic with the back of knife, and have that frying in the pan with the pancetta (remove before pasta goes in)

This. This is why it tastes garlicky when there's no actual garlic pieces.

And no salmon. Pfft. Cream is a debate. I add a tiny amount (and lived in Italy for years so I'm allowed grin) but if you get really good eggs and pancetta, you don't need it.

ApolloandDaphne Thu 22-Jul-21 15:12:30

I think I have my recipe now. I will Cooke draw pancetta with garlic and remove before adding to the pasta. I just need to go and get some ingredients now!

TheAwfuITruth Thu 22-Jul-21 15:13:08

I knew about the cream thing, but I thought it always had cheese in it

FreezerBird Thu 22-Jul-21 15:13:25

Carluccio's recipe is the best I've used. (Ignore the strange picture with the egg yolk sitting in the middle!)

www.antonio-carluccio.com/spaghetti_alla_carbonara/

minipie Thu 22-Jul-21 15:15:39

Add lots of chopped parsley at the end

BigSandyBalls2015 Thu 22-Jul-21 15:15:49

Loads of Gaelic is needed and add tons of parmesan to the beaten eggs

rbe78 Thu 22-Jul-21 15:17:24

LazyMareofEastown

Guardian's recipe has never let me down. Imo the secret to an amazing carbonara is in the quality of your component parts so when I'm making it I buy the best ingredients I can afford.

Yep, I second the Felcity Claoke 'perfect' recipe. Soooooooooo good.

drwitch Thu 22-Jul-21 15:18:43

you really need guanciale if you can get it

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in