Opinions on selling earrings

(20 Posts)
Ecci Wed 21-Jul-21 16:38:03

I have a lot of artisan hand painted earrings collected many years ago on travels in Asia. I no longer wear them and I'm thinking of selling them at a local table top sale. But I have no idea what price I could sell them for. Also, would it be worth refurbishing them by replacing the hooks? Any advice? What would you pay for a pair of these earrings? I've attached a couple of examples.

OP’s posts: |
Hopdathelf Wed 21-Jul-21 17:36:28

Sorry but no, I wouldn’t pay for them. And definitely not with the original used hooks.

SamanthaJayne4 Wed 21-Jul-21 17:52:48

I bought some earrings from a coffee morning at my parents' sheltered accommodation (used). My mum said the posts just needed a wipe with surgical spirit. QVC accept returned earrings to resell so there must be a way of cleaning them. I don't have any idea of the value of the earrings pictured OP but they are pretty.

BakedTattie Wed 21-Jul-21 17:56:42

I wouldn’t buy second hand earrings.

Are you crafty? Could you repurpose them into necklaces or something?

CuriousaboutSamphire Wed 21-Jul-21 18:00:37

I sell 'vintage' jewellery including earrings. If you try and replace the hooks you could damage the jump ring, make them unbalanced, so I wouldn't bother.

I use white vinegar. It breaks down all the biological gunk, is antibacterial, sanitising etc etc, and is gentle enough not to wreck the paint.

With those all you need is white vinegar, cotton buds and a bit of patience 😁

twointhemorning Wed 21-Jul-21 18:04:49

The earrings are nice and quirky. But they aren't my style so I wouldn't buy them, sorry! But I'm sure there will be people who will love them.

You could bulk buy some fish hook earring findings in gold and silver and replace the existing hooks. And since jewellery pliers to make it easy to replace the hook. Maybe get some small plastic clip top bags to put them in. Depends whether it is financially worthwhile for you to do this.

CuriousaboutSamphire Wed 21-Jul-21 18:10:36

Trust me, I make jewellery too. If you try replacing the hooks chances are you'll damage the jump ring or worse, pull the post out of the earrings.

There are lots of people happy to by pre worn, vintage earrings and if you add the place if origin, make it sound romantic, artisanal etc, you'll sell them quite easily.

Advertisement

RaininSummer Wed 21-Jul-21 18:18:49

I wouldn't think it was worth trying to sell them as surely they aren't worth more than couple of quid each. I think a lot of people would be put off by second hand earrings

Zarene Wed 21-Jul-21 18:23:14

I have a soft spot for those sort of earrings as a darling mad aunt of mine used to wear them. I might buy a pair for nostalgia for a quid. But - I know some people love them so it's worth a punt!

Maybe I'm hideously unsanitary, but I wouldn't worry about second hand hooks, and would just give them a clean.

Leavesofautumn Wed 21-Jul-21 19:49:04

Personally I would never buy pierced earrings if they were second hand.

KupoNutCoffee Wed 21-Jul-21 20:34:07

They are lovely - not something I'd wear unfortunately, but they are certainly the sort of thing I've seen on table top fairs.

Depends how many pairs is a lot, and if you have other bits to go with them. Silken scarves, chunky bracelets, and necklaces, or ornamental bits would add to the general theme. On their own with not that many, or surrounded by old kids toys, last summer's books, and kitchenware would decrease their value just by association if that makes sense.

At the former, probably £5 with a little note on the table "Asian, vintage, hand-made, hooks replaced" possibly even something like £7, 2 for £10 but they're not my thing, so I'm probably undervaluing. Do you remember what you paid, they seem reasonable quality for having lasted.

At the latter, they might get a couple of quid.

Alternatively ebay?

Eleoura Wed 21-Jul-21 20:41:16

Not my style at all, and I'd never buy 2nd had earrings, but someone 'might' buy them. £5 a pair would be pushing it though. £2 is more likely.

The only place you might get more would be at a 'vintage' overpriced market around Bricklane/Spitalfields in London.

PaperMonster Wed 21-Jul-21 21:46:26

I’d have no problem buying second hand, and I’d probably be tempted by some like this but I’d not pay more than £2 for them.

Bargebill19 Wed 21-Jul-21 21:50:05

Sort of thing I would buy. £5 per pair or 3 for £10.

Ecci Thu 22-Jul-21 18:40:16

Thanks to all for your advice.

@KupoNutCoffee I would only be selling the earrings, I have about 150 pairs. I think that will be enough to fill a table.

@CuriousaboutSamphire Thanks, I will clean them with white vinegar.

Each pair is individually stored in a small gripseal plastic bag. I'm going to try £2 per pair or 3 pairs for a fiver and see how it goes. I think £5 per pair would be too expensive. I did have a lot more and sold about 100 pairs on ebay a few years ago. Might try ebay again if they don't sell at the local sale.

Eleoura Thu 22-Jul-21 20:03:42

So you had 250 pairs of earrings!?! shock
Did you even wear them all? Your suitcase must have been full coming back from your travels grin

Bargebill19 Thu 22-Jul-21 20:10:30

@Eleoura

Ha you think that’s a lot …😱🤣

Ivy48 Thu 22-Jul-21 20:11:59

You may have more success listing them on Etsy or eBay?

Ecci Thu 22-Jul-21 21:20:56

@Eleoura I did wear them all. I used to wear a different pair to work every day. Didn't have a suitcase, just a huge rucksack

Galassia Thu 22-Jul-21 21:50:35

It always makes me laugh when people get sniffy about some second hand items yet most will happily sleep in a hotel bed with their head on a pillow where both have been subjected to all manner of bodily fluids!

I would be interested if you put them on eBay as I love quirky earrings!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in