Any opticians - is there a name for this?

(8 Posts)
lostitall Fri 11-Jun-21 21:34:13

Okay so I'm looking straight ahead at a book. My sons toy is next to me on my bedside cabinet. It's blue and red. In the corner of my eye the blue and red colours are flickering and jumping about. It's happened to me before with different colours. I also get similar when the blind is half open- I see flickering light etc

OP’s posts: |
80Days Fri 11-Jun-21 23:55:32

If I was noticing something like this, I’d be making an appointment at an actual opticians to get my eyes checked out. They'll be able to do a proper examination and say whether or not this is something to be concerned about.

lurkingfromhome Sat 12-Jun-21 06:47:11

It’s an ocular migraine, most probably.

lostitall Sat 12-Jun-21 11:22:35

80Days

If I was noticing something like this, I’d be making an appointment at an actual opticians to get my eyes checked out. They'll be able to do a proper examination and say whether or not this is something to be concerned about.

I had one not long back and it was fine
I've noticed this even when I was a kid it's a bizzare phenomenon just wondered if it had a name

Pudmyboy Sat 12-Jun-21 18:24:33

Do you get a headache at the same time? That could mean it was migraine with aura. If you just get shimmering lights on their own it could be aura without migraine as lurkingfromhome says.
Worth getting an opthalmic opinion certainly. Most opticians are opthalmic opticians.

lostitall Sat 12-Jun-21 19:30:56

No no headache with it
Usually when I'm tired

murbblurb Sat 12-Jun-21 19:38:12

You can get migraines without headache. Make an optician appointment to be sure.

Advertisement

Pudmyboy Sun 13-Jun-21 18:03:27

I get aura without migraine, which manifests as a small shimmering dot which then expands into a thin shimmering arc, this carries on expanding outwards till it vanishes. Lasts about 1hour all told. I get it when tired or stressed. I believe it can manifest in different ways with different people.
Certainly get an opthalmic opinion to check everything is okay.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in