Any doctors/nurses up? Urgent advice required

(28 Posts)
joanneg36 Wed 05-May-21 00:03:48

Warning - TMI - if you're not a doctor or nurse you may want to give this a miss...

I have just discovered an old tampon that has been in for approx 10 days. I have removed it, I am otherwise feeling fine. Do I need to go to the doctor (or A&E, I guess, given the hour) to get checked out? Or would I have symptoms if something was wrong?

Many thanks in advance.

OP’s posts: |
joanneg36 Wed 05-May-21 00:08:30

Bumping, and also I actually have a follow up question which is that I am supposed to have my covid vaccine tomorrow (first jab, AZ). My slight concern is, if I get a fever tomorrow and write it off as a vaccine side effect, could it in fact be toxic shock syndrome. I obviously will ask an actual doctor in the morning but basically want to know if I can go to bed or need to get myself down to A&E.

MaitlandGirl Wed 05-May-21 00:09:22

Not a dr or nurse but thought this might be useful. It’s Australian based (that’s where I live!) but the info is still good.

www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/toxic-shock-syndrome-tss

mouldygrapes Wed 05-May-21 00:12:35

If you feel completely well with no fever, offensive discharge or pain then you don’t need to go to a&e tonight.
If you’re worried you can speak to the GP tomorrow or your local sexual health clinic who can examine you - sometimes things can be a little sore inside where the tampon has been, but in most cases it gets better by itself

Stichintime Wed 05-May-21 00:14:24

Drink lots of water. I would avoid the vacine tomorrow and speak to your doctor first thing. If you feel feverish or have any other symptoms get to A&E.

joanneg36 Wed 05-May-21 00:15:24

Thank you - I am otherwise fine.

ZednotZee Wed 05-May-21 00:15:49

If your temperature is normal, you don,'t feel at all unwell and you have had a good old shower you should be ok.
This happens more than we care to admit and after ten days your risk of developing TSS is next to nothing now the tampon has been removed.
Relax.

ZednotZee Wed 05-May-21 00:17:16

Sorry, didn't see your update re the vaccine, but yes a reschedule would be prudent. Just to err on the side of safety.

joanneg36 Wed 05-May-21 00:21:51

Thank you - is the reason you're advising rescheduling the reason I gave above - i.e. not knowing if a fever is caused by the vaccine or something else? Or is there another reason?

joanneg36 Wed 05-May-21 00:31:38

... and if anyone else sees this delightful thread overnight, I'd really appreciate views. Tried 111 but they said I just had to ring my GP first thing tomorrow - but am then cutting it really fine to reschedule the jab. I guess I would really rather not reschedule jab if I don't have to - but obvs will do so if needed.

quince2figs Wed 05-May-21 01:16:38

I’m a gynaecologist. Women forgetting tampons is pretty common, I’ve removed plenty in my time, some having been in the vagina for weeks or months.

If you feel well, there is absolutely no need to visit A&E, your GP or any other health care setting. Not sure what you expect them to do, as the tampon is now out? There is no need for them to examine you, as the tampon will not have done any damage.
I would suggest get your vaccine as planned. Not much logic to delaying it in case you develop TSS. I have never seen a case of TSS related to tampons in my long career of 20yrs plus. The same could also be argued, that you might develop a cold, flu or any other sort of infection shortly after a vaccine...

wingsnthat Wed 05-May-21 01:18:38

I think you should get the vaccine as planned. Inform the practitioner but it’s unlikely they would tell you to reschedule

joanneg36 Wed 05-May-21 01:35:45

Thanks quince2figs and wingsnthat - both very reassuring!

CervixHaver Wed 05-May-21 01:40:52

Not a HCP but I'd imagine if you were going to get Toxic Shock then you would've done so already and that it wouldn't then occur once the item has been removed.

I've had a few instances of particular mishap myself before (albeit not for 10 days) and not had TSS. My point being that it's not a foregone conclusion, so to speak. TSS is still relatively rare apparently.

joanneg36 Wed 05-May-21 07:17:19

Thanks all. Just bumping this for the morning crew - I am inclining towards just going for the vaccine this morning.

CovidCorvid Wed 05-May-21 07:26:01

I’m a midwife, I’d say if jo symptoms from the tampon unlikely to develop any now. I’d get the vaccine.

CovidCorvid Wed 05-May-21 07:26:57

If you get any symptoms post vaccine take paracetamol, if that doesn’t help you can see a dr, explain the circumstances and they’d probably prescribe some broad spectrum antibiotics just in case?

PlonkyPlink Wed 05-May-21 07:31:30

GP here. You’ve had some very good information and advice from a gynaecologist. Get your vaccine.

joanneg36 Wed 05-May-21 07:32:31

Thanks covidcorvid. That was pretty much what I thought - that if I got a serious fever post vaccine, I could go to the docs and get antibiotics to be safe.

joanneg36 Wed 05-May-21 07:32:57

Thank you plonkyplink.

minniemomo Wed 05-May-21 07:34:44

I've done this, no issues following. I would have the vaccine

joanneg36 Wed 05-May-21 07:44:32

Thank you. Looking around on mumsnet today, this seems to be surprisingly common! It is the first time I have ever done it in my just-over-40 years.

RockingMyFiftiesNot Wed 05-May-21 08:02:10

* I have never seen a case of TSS related to tampons in my long career of 20yrs plus.*

Appreciate you're a very experienced gynaecologist - but when a teenager local to us died of TSS many years ago, a campaign was launched to highlight dangers and symptoms of TSS. Whilst I am sure it is fairly rare, people do need to be aware of it, just because one gynaecologist hasn't seen it, doesn't mean it's not real.

That said. OP - take the advice from a variety of medical people on here - go ahead with your vaccine. The risks of Covid are higher than TSS at this point.

joanneg36 Wed 05-May-21 08:09:44

Yes exactly - I know TSS is real. But I feel that, even with low rates of the virus currently, the risk of Covid is probably higher for someone in their mid 40s who is displaying no symptoms of TSS. So I will go!

Homeschoolgetmeoutofhere Wed 05-May-21 08:20:40

TMI but out of interest how did you know/ how did you find it? About 10 days ago I could have sworn I put a tampon in but after searching decided I couldn’t have done because I couldn’t find it blush. How obvious was it?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in