What's your favourite cookery book? One you swear by.

(99 Posts)
BustyDusty Mon 03-May-21 16:36:02

Just that.

I've got quite a few cook books, but want something new. There's too much choice so I could do with some suggestions.

One of my long-time favourites is Home Cook by Alastair Hendy. Also Roast Chicken And Other Stories by Simon Hopkinson. My friend gave me Indian by Shehzad Husain and Rafi Fernandex which is brilliant.

I enjoy cooking and make everything from scratch but I'm no 'chef'.

(eg I have never been able to master Thai curries - they're always too thin and watery, not rich and creamy..and end up with the wrong balance of spices.)

Any ideas?

OP’s posts: |
Lucaslucas1612 Mon 03-May-21 16:38:49

The roasting tray and the green roasting tray. My kind of booking.

Anordinarymum Mon 03-May-21 16:40:32

Present favourite is 'Made in India' Author - Meera Sodha
One of my 'go to' books in 'Nigella Express'

stalachtiteorstalagmite Mon 03-May-21 16:41:30

Nigella Summer. Every single thing I've made from it has been incredibly delicious. I use it all year round, at least once a week.

EggysMom Mon 03-May-21 16:43:51

My favourite is a phone call: "Mum, how do I cook XYZ?" grin

BustyDusty Mon 03-May-21 16:47:00

Lucas do you mean The Roasting Tin? Just been looking it up on ebay

GiveMyHeadPeaceffs Mon 03-May-21 16:48:31

I love Hugh Fearnley Wotsit's Three Good Things and Jamie Oliver's 5 Ingredients. They give me inspiration rather than follow the actual recipes.

HelenaJustina Mon 03-May-21 16:49:36

I am evangelical about The Green Roasting Tin (we are mostly vegetarian household) haven’t had a duff recipe from it yet.

BustyDusty Mon 03-May-21 16:50:20

Ive not seen Nigella's Forever Summer. I have a couple of her others. Ive ordered it on ebay. This might end up being an expensive thread. blush

margaritasbythesea Mon 03-May-21 16:53:41

50 Great Curries by Camelia Panjabi. Everything is delicious and works perfectly. Used it for years.

StevieNix Mon 03-May-21 17:23:53

The Dishoom cookbook is great! Especially liked the chicken ruby recipe.

Lucaslucas1612 Mon 03-May-21 17:30:06

BustyDusty

Lucas do you mean The Roasting Tin? Just been looking it up on ebay

Sorry, yes I do! Both are brilliant. Quick and easy meals.

ElvenDreamer Mon 03-May-21 17:30:59

Nosh. Any of the Nosh books but my go to is Nosh for busy parents. So so easy and nothing in this book doesn't work or has been refused.

TaraR2020 Mon 03-May-21 18:34:06

How to Cook by Leiths Cookery...Fabulous encyclopedia of techniques, recipes and pretty much everything you can think of.

LondonStone Mon 03-May-21 18:53:51

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat is a wonderful book which is primarily about the science of cooking - why certain flavours work together, how long to marinade each food group, etc. But it is excellent for individual food items if you’re able to put them together yourself. Her roast chicken, for example, is absolutely perfect and I’m always asked to cook it by friends and family!

Also there’s a book called Indian-ish (which is by Priya from Bon Appetit, the hugely-popular-but-now-disgraced YouTube channel) that is exactly what it says - Indian(ish). Great recipes with a twist!

Darklane Mon 03-May-21 18:56:37

A really ancient one Farmhouse Kitchen

tellmetologoffIamaMNaddict Mon 03-May-21 19:12:04

Nigel Slater, Real Cooking

BustyDusty Mon 03-May-21 19:37:03

The Nigel Slater one is good. I have that. He used to live in a flat in Islington next to my friend. His kitchen was totally pristine. No clutter anywhere. You'd never have guessed he was a chef.

grizzlygrump Mon 03-May-21 19:41:45

Fushia Dunlop Every Grain of Rice is my most cooked from book!

nzborn Mon 03-May-21 19:54:47

Edmunds cookbook a classic that is in almost every home in New Zealand originated from Edmonds who manufactured baking powder etc.
Edmonds sure to rise was their slogan when Sir Edmund Hillary had his funeral someone put up a banner across the road with Edmund sure to rise.

ShanghaiDiva Mon 03-May-21 19:56:26

Delia, of course.

WhatsALieIn Mon 03-May-21 19:59:04

Pinch of nom books are brilliant.

Excellently put together. Easy to follow. Extremely tasty. Lots of useful info like number of calories.

AND they are all suitable for losing weight.

DramaAlpaca Mon 03-May-21 19:59:58

My favourite go-to classic is Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course.

I have dozens of cookbooks but this one is my favourite as I learned how to cook from it.

I rate Nigel Slater and Rick Stein too, but really don't get on with Nigella.

ElliePhillips Mon 03-May-21 20:00:57

The Cook's Book by Jill Norman/Marcus Wareing. It has absolutely everything in it from total basics to elaborate (for me) stuff. It's my bible.

NannyR Mon 03-May-21 20:05:45

The one I've used most over the years is Nigella Lawson How to Eat, it seems quite dated in parts now but it's got lots of basic, useful recipes.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in