Would your school (primary ) accept these shoes?

(249 Posts)
MrsBDarcy Mon 19-Apr-21 09:24:17

I had to buy these yesterday along with several other parents due to lack of options (3 shops tried) and huge queues at Clarks and unable to get to any other shops. Son's inside insole wore through rendering his current shoes super uncomfortable despite still looking ok. I'm hoping school don't say they're too trainer-ish as I can't afford to buy more and son was asked to make sure he got new shoes at weekend after he wore trainers on Friday. Help me have a polite response ready to say these are what he'll be wearing for a while ?

OP’s posts: |
Marmite27 Mon 19-Apr-21 09:25:23

Unfortunately no, they’d be too trainer like.

rainbowthoughts Mon 19-Apr-21 09:26:20

Yes. But half the kids wear trainers anyway.

TreeDice Mon 19-Apr-21 09:27:00

Not here unfortunately

tigerbread20 Mon 19-Apr-21 09:27:38

I've seen silver sequin converse at ours so they'd be delighted to see those in comparison grin

Forestdweller11 Mon 19-Apr-21 09:27:50

Not here either. Can you get an insole and just put that in the old shoes?

Whinge Mon 19-Apr-21 09:27:59

Sorry OP, it would be a no from mine as well.

MrsBDarcy Mon 19-Apr-21 09:28:08

Oh god. I'll expect the call then ...it was those or actual trainers again for a week or until I can get new online
My eldest cannot wear these but his are luckily ok

Autosavepassword Mon 19-Apr-21 09:28:13

No they would be called trainers in my kids school as well.

Would replacing the insole be an option in the existing shoes?

YouCantBeSadHoldingACupcake Mon 19-Apr-21 09:29:43

Not normally, but at the moment the school are just asking parents to try their best with the uniform, so would probably be fine with it.

bellamountain Mon 19-Apr-21 09:30:02

They look fine to me. My DS wears black trainers and I'd rather they be comfortable.

DenisetheMenace Mon 19-Apr-21 09:30:43

I think school will be understanding atm, there are supply issues in lots of stores.
I’d call them and explain in advance. If they aren’t happy with your efforts ask them to come up with a practical alternative.

wendz86 Mon 19-Apr-21 09:30:54

Yes our school accept any shoes as long as all black.

BettysCardigan Mon 19-Apr-21 09:30:59

Yes. I don't know about, say, 2019, but since Coronavirus the kids wear their gym clothes on gym days, and so uniform overall seems to have become less of an issue.

listershologram Mon 19-Apr-21 09:31:59

Yes.

Ohnomoreno Mon 19-Apr-21 09:32:27

Would be fine here too. Long as you look like you're making some effort they don't care.

bettybyebye Mon 19-Apr-21 09:32:40

They’d be fine in my kids primary school. But my DS wore trainers for 3 weeks last term. Schools are generally far more understanding at the moment

MrsBDarcy Mon 19-Apr-21 09:37:24

I hope they'll look at these as my genuine (3 hours) effort to get black shoes - I'm really not one of those parents who flout the rules. I'm so square but was desperate yesterday. I'll check insole options but the shoes were cheap (again due to availability at the time) I had to buy his trousers on ebay auction in March as there were none to be had anywhere online in his size

FelicityPike Mon 19-Apr-21 09:39:05

They’d be fine at ours.

justanotherneighinparadise Mon 19-Apr-21 09:40:01

Yes if he surprised if they’d complain. Just keep them nice and shiny with black polish.

PivotPivotPivottt Mon 19-Apr-21 09:41:55

Yes but we don't have a strict uniform policy. I've never heard of schools around here being strict the way I read about on Mumsnet and in the newspapers.

Teafirst Mon 19-Apr-21 09:43:46

It'd be a no from our school. They relaxed the rules before Easter - wear what fitted etc, but now have made it clear they expect school shoes etc.

I booked appointments at Clark's for DS1 & 2 - could you do that for the after school/ weekend, send him in in trainers with a note to explain/ apologise and get a refund on the M&S ones? I know we couldn't afford 2 pairs!

FontyMcFontface Mon 19-Apr-21 09:45:27

Ours would be fine but dd wore silver DM’s for a year and nobody said anything. Half the school wear trainers. At the moment they’re saying uniform optional.

Lilmzsnowflake Mon 19-Apr-21 09:45:35

They would be fine here, in fact I’ve seen all sorts going through the doors! Dds secondary would also be fine, they only specify completely black.
If they phone, tell them that was the best you could do and it took hours. Stock of all uniform items seems short at the moment, or not available in the size needed.
I would be tempted to ask (if they phone) if that is really the most pressing issue the school has right now... but would probably chicken out of actually saying it. There’s nothing wrong with those shoes at all.

Changingwiththetimes Mon 19-Apr-21 09:45:44

Nope. Too much like trainers (though my son did get away with similar for a few weeks as the uniform police was more concerned about his hair at the time)!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in