Selling CDs... Music magpie, ziffit or...

(12 Posts)
MyOtherProfile Sun 18-Apr-21 21:20:42

Thanks all.

@WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll it does feel like CDs must be archaic, doesn't it? I object to that until I remember we don't actually have a cd player any more!

OP’s posts: |
SocraticJunkieWannabe Sun 18-Apr-21 20:47:33

I've used Ziffit a few times and never had any issues, but realistically you'll probably only get pence rather than pounds per CD. I've also given CDs away as a job lot on Freecycle/Freegle before.

ILoveFlumps Sun 18-Apr-21 19:24:58

I use Sell It Back all the time. Never had an issue with any of my deliveries, and payment is really quick.

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Sun 18-Apr-21 19:21:25

Charity shops near us aren't taking cds

Odd, isn't it - I suppose they know what does and doesn't sell; but everybody is talking about CDs as though they're like VHS tapes, but loads of people still buy and play them. Maybe I'm stereotyping, but I'd have thought the kind of people who only live minimally and also only accept the latest technology are not the same ones scouring the charity shops in the first place (and I am a keen charity shop womble).

Still consider FreeCycle or similar - you could always add a message to the effect that you're currently busy and don't have time to do the whole Music Magpie thing, but if there's somebody with more time on their hands or a teenager/student, you have no objection if they want to do it to get themselves a few quid!

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Sun 18-Apr-21 19:14:49

Unless you're desperate for (literally) a few quid (and don't forget you have to enter/register them individually and then find a suitable box, pack it carefully, tape it all up, print off the address label, securely tape that on too, and take it to your local convenience store, where you might have to queue), if I were you, I would take the time to enter all of the individual barcodes (or I think you might just be able to scan them now) to see what they offer, but then not actually bother using them at all.

As I said, if you have a handful of items that they offer more than the standard 5p-25p or so for, check what they're going on eBay for (or have sold for) and consider listing them on there (maybe undercut the ones already on there by a bit); all the rest, I'd just shove them in a bag and take them to a charity shop, now they're open again, or stick them on FreeCycle (but specify it's a job-lot and no cherry-picking).

MyOtherProfile Sun 18-Apr-21 19:10:01

Charity shops near us aren't taking cds

ButeIsle Sun 18-Apr-21 19:06:29

Charity shop, free cycle or free on market place, once you've checked nothing is too precious.

Advertisement

MyOtherProfile Sun 18-Apr-21 19:03:29

It's a minefield isn't it? To be honest we just want rid of them in a way that doesn't actually cost us anything!

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Sun 18-Apr-21 19:01:41

Just remember that, once you send them something, you're completely at their mercy. They can claim that something didn't arrive, was the wrong item or damaged, and although you can technically ask for it back, you'll have to pay the postage and maybe an admin fee and nobody would actually bother. of course, I'm sure there are dodgy customers who try it on, so I'm not outright criticising them for sometimes rejecting items.

Their usual spiel seems to be that they will 'kindly recycle at no cost to you' anything that they can't/won't accept/pay for (for whatever reason). What they mean by 'recycling' is open to interpretation, of course....

Ooh, one thing I was very impressed by with Webuybooks was that they specifically said on their website that they don't expect used books to be in new, pristine state - even if there are a few markings in the margins - as long as they are in a reasonable used condition.

It's a bit difficult to know, as there are hundreds of companies out there called 'Webuy................' and any one of them could be owned/run by people of great integrity, complete scammers or anything in between!

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Sun 18-Apr-21 18:52:30

I sold two lots to MM - the first one was fine, but after the second one, I vowed never to use them again. They offered me a price based on the actual barcode of a CD single, then declined to pay as 'they don't accept CD singles'. Also, there were two other CDs that they claimed I hadn't included. I had: I checked it about six times. Absolutely nothing I could do whatsoever. The total of the 'disputed' items was only about 20p, but for me, all trust as to their integrity had completely gone.

I also sent some things to WebuyDVDs, who offered a little more than the others, but they took absolutely ages to pay me; I had to chase them several times, before they eventually paid me, but still insisted on (taking even more time and) sending me a cheque. Wouldn't use them again.

By contrast, I sent some items to Webuybooks (who will also buy some other items, such as DVDs) and I found them to be honest, prompt and efficient throughout. I'd definitely use them again.

Never used Ziffit or the other one - I forget the name, is it Zapper or something? - so no idea about them.

I would advise to only send them items that they offer up to about 50p for, though, and consider selling the others on eBay or similar. They build in the cost of running the website, admin, staff, paying for the postage and profit, of course - nothing at all wrong with that; but their economies of scale mean it's worthwhile for them to do it but not for you to bother.

However, if they're offering you significantly over £1 for an item, it's a reflection of its rarity rather than their random generosity(!), and it might mean that you could get a tenner or more for it yourself. One of them (I forget which) offered me £1.50 for a CD and £2.50 (IIRC) for a book and there were a very small number of them available on eBay, going rate seemed to be £30+ each. Now I just need to get around to listing them, along with loads of other old junk

MyOtherProfile Sun 18-Apr-21 18:44:15

Anyone?

MyOtherProfile Sun 18-Apr-21 18:13:44

We have a boxful of CDs to get rid of. Thinking of just offloading on one of those sites that take them all. Anyone got a recommendation?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in