How much should I clean the holiday house?

(7 Posts)
reallyneedmoresleep Fri 16-Apr-21 23:02:32

Sorry if this sounds like a really stupid question. We usually camp or stay in hotels but due to COVID rules we’ve just had a holiday in a lovely holiday cottage.
We’re going home tomorrow but how much should we clean the house before we go? Is there a standard etiquette to these things?

OP’s posts: |
TheSmallAssassin Fri 16-Apr-21 23:16:33

I just leave everything nice and tidy, wash and dry up, empty the fridge, empty the bins, sweep the kitchen floor, hoover if there are visible bits on the carpet or we've got sand everywhere. They'll have a cleaner in after you've gone.

lastqueenofscotland Sat 17-Apr-21 00:12:21

Clear the fridge/sweep/make sure washing up is done and away/give the bathroom a wipe and I strip beds.
I’d Hoover if it was obviously gritty

underneaththeash Sat 17-Apr-21 08:18:50

Usually I just empty bins and clear out fridge.
But, at the moment I strip beds and put towels ina pile in one of the bathrooms too.

Spudlet Sat 17-Apr-21 08:22:10

Generally there are instructions left on what they want you to do, as far as beds and things go. Other than that we always make sure all the washing up is done (or leave the dishwasher running), clear out the fridge, and leave the place tidy. I don’t hoover though, getting everyone loaded into the car and all the things collected up and what have you is quite enough if we’re to be out in time.

SuperintendentHastings Sat 17-Apr-21 08:25:24

I leave it as I find it, but I clean and tidy as I go anyway so it's never that bad. They'll always have a cleaner in after you leave but I always leave it looking nice.

mayblossominapril Sat 17-Apr-21 08:25:28

Just leave it tidy, everything where it should be and the cleaner will sort the rest. I used to clean cottages and my job was to clean it not yours.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in