Black tick inside a grey circle FB Messenger

(8 Posts)
TrojaninTroy Thu 15-Apr-21 20:20:38

Can anybody tell me what a black tick inside a grey circle means on FB Messenger? I've had this several times with various contacts over the last few months when I've tried to send a message (especially when it is more than a couple of lines) but can't find an explanation as to what it means anywhere. I'm guessing it means that the recipient hasn't read my message but I don't know why. The symbol never changes, and so my messages are apparently going unread. Although I've googled it, there doesn't seem to be an answer anywhere as to what a black tick inside a grey circle means. I use an iPhone 12 Mini.

I'm hoping more savvy mumsnetters may be able to help me with this. Thank you in advance :-)

OP’s posts: |
itsgettingwierd Thu 15-Apr-21 20:24:18

On mine it means sent.

When they read it their profile picture appears.

terrywynne Thu 15-Apr-21 20:36:17

It means they have received the message into their messenger inbox but haven't read it.

gamerchick Thu 15-Apr-21 20:37:36

Just means it's in their inbox doesn't it? If you watch the message after you've posted it the tick changes. Then it sits there waiting to be opened and replaced with the profile picture when it has been.

gamerchick Thu 15-Apr-21 20:43:29

Like this?

TrojaninTroy Thu 15-Apr-21 20:44:39

The trouble is that the tick doesn't change. It doesn't get replaced with the profile picture. Months have gone by. I'm wondering whether they were able to delete my messages without actually reading them (paranoia kicking in now), but one of the messages this happened with was to my sister-in-law and another to my niece. Although I'm not that close to them I don't think they'd do that, unless it was by accident. So I'm really puzzled.

gamerchick Thu 15-Apr-21 20:48:21

It just means they haven't gone into messenger and read them. I get the full message come up on my phone so can read it there. Then forget I've got a message.

TrojaninTroy Thu 15-Apr-21 20:51:24

@gamerchick
Thank you - now I get it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in