Recommend some kitchen knives

(14 Posts)
bucketandamop Thu 15-Apr-21 19:47:13

It's a big statement birthday for me coming up, and as things have been a bit flat with regards getting away on holiday, I've decided instead to get a really good set of kitchen knives! I know I'm probably a bit weird grin but I do love cooking.

I've had a couple of Global Knives before, but reviews online I see Zwilling gets some really good reviews. But I also like the look of some of the Wusthof ones.

Budget would be up to 400 quid, and looking for something that will last a long time if I'm going to make that kind of investment.

OP’s posts: |
BeeyatchPlease Thu 15-Apr-21 19:53:23

I swear by my Global knives. I have a couple of Zwilling but not as good as Global I don't think.

adawong Thu 15-Apr-21 20:11:22

Dalstrong Gladiator series.

Lanique Thu 15-Apr-21 20:13:38

Global

Celticdawn5 Thu 15-Apr-21 20:20:23

I have a set of Wusthof knives and would recommend them .
The tomato/sausage knife is so handy for everything.

wombatgoeswild Thu 15-Apr-21 20:23:50

I have a Blok veg knife that cost £££ but seriously use tomato knives for everything including slashing sourdough....

Lidl knives are pretty good.

As you have a really good budget, get one or two custom-made for you. Instagram has an excellent network of knife makers and it's fun getting one made.

FindingMeno Thu 15-Apr-21 20:25:07

I love my victorinox serrated knives.
Better than the crappy sabatiere I bought years ago.

carrie74 Thu 15-Apr-21 20:38:21

My Zwilling knives are excellent, make sure you've got a good sharpener.

minipie Thu 15-Apr-21 20:50:44

We have a whole load of Wusthof Classic and I love them. We have their small knives (in 3 sizes) and two chefs knives (one smallish one massive) and I’m hoping to get more when I can justify it.

I don’t much like Global personally, they feel too lightweight in my hand and the little dents in the handle catch food.

Be careful as a lot of the big names do a budget range as well as a higher end range, so make sure you get the one you want (sounds like premium). For example I also have an ancient Wusthof Gourmet knife and it’s nothing like as good (ok partly as it’s ancient but still).

Cdl84 Thu 15-Apr-21 20:55:44

Wusthof classic here too. Very good.

TinyTickler Thu 15-Apr-21 20:58:56

I'm having a chefs knife made by Bowes Knives.lAlso got these which are amazing

https://www.kitchenknives.co.uk/global-g-26115-3-piece-knife-set/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyN-DBhCDARIsAFOELTnQ7SFFcsNPhWv3W-UjNiXtEBuh7mjAgXyrMvp7RaPy6yazH336u8aAvBaEALww_wcB

Porseb Thu 15-Apr-21 21:13:34

Zwilling 4 stars - had mine 20 years, second the sharpener (zwilling make their own)

RamblinRosie Fri 16-Apr-21 03:00:28

I love my Globals, the Minosharp sharpener is an essential accessory.

bucketandamop Fri 16-Apr-21 19:07:11

Thank you all, will go get researching!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in