Can luteal phase change? TTC HELP

(11 Posts)
Laurenamandaaa Fri 09-Apr-21 09:39:28

Hi everyone, I'm driving myself a bit crazy with TTC

So I track ovulation using ovulation tests.

My luteal phase has been 12 days since I've been testing and yet this month I'm on 15dpo with no sign of my period yet negative pregnancy tests.

My cycle is all over which is why I track ovulation. This month I almost gave up on ovulating at all, but took one last ovulation test which was positive and that was day 24 of my cycle.

I'm now on day 39 and no period. No symptoms of anything, although I had a bit of cramping on and off a day or so before my period was due (which was day 37 of my cycle) and basically nothing else.

I really feel like my body is playing tricks on me. I used an early detection test this morning so surely if I was pregnant that would have showed up??

I've been tested for PCOS and also had a fertility blood test this month which both came back normal.

I'm at a total loss. I knew TTC would be difficult!

OP’s posts: |
NoWordForFluffy Fri 09-Apr-21 09:48:57

Your LP doesn't usually alter, though OV can (as you found out!).

Implantation usually occurs between 6-12 DPO and you'd get your BFP a minimum of 3-4 days after this, with a sensitive test.

My cycle was all over the shop when I was TTC, however. (I maybe hadn't really paid attention beforehand, in reality!)

Laurenamandaaa Fri 09-Apr-21 10:14:12

My cycle seems to have got worse this last year. They have never been this long, maybe 30 days maximum but like you, I didn't pay too much attention to them.

I honestly have no clue what's going on 🙄

mindutopia Fri 09-Apr-21 10:20:39

The luteal phase is usually pretty stable, but if you have a 14 LP normally and you didn’t ovulate until day 24, you would expect the same length LP, so 24+14 would be a roughly 38 day cycle, give or take a few days.

NoWordForFluffy Fri 09-Apr-21 10:21:10

Were you on birth control before TTC? And how old are you?

My cycle ranged from 26-36 days whilst TTC, but I didn't know if it was a 'me' thing or a 'coming off birth control to TTC' thing!

TTC sends you a bit bonkers (or it does for some of us; I was envious where people were relaxed throughout!).

Sameoldconstellations Fri 09-Apr-21 11:24:50

No advice on the luteal phase, I'm afraid, but statistically the likeliest way of getting pregnant is actually to ignore your cycle completely and just have sex every 2-3 days. Have you had a phase of trying that instead of using ovulation kits?

If you are finding TTC stressful then I would really recommend putting down the ovulation tests (you already know from the tests you've done so far that you ARE ovulating every cycle) and just having sex two to three times a week instead. You're basically trying to ensure there are always sperm in the right place ready for when you do ovulate.

I have always had long irregular cycles and have conceived twice this way, on the fourth and first cycles of trying respectively. I know it's counterintuitive that not tracking your cycle makes it more likely that you'll conceive, I guess it might be something to do with stress levels. Maybe worth a shot if you've not had success with the ovulation kits so far?

NoWordForFluffy Fri 09-Apr-21 11:31:12

I did both, @Sameoldconstellations. It doesn't have to be either / or.

Some of us (me!) just like to throw everything at it (and I get OV pain, so it's obvious when it's happening; I still tested)!

Laurenamandaaa Fri 09-Apr-21 13:56:15

@NoWordForFluffy I wasnt on birth control, I can't take it due to it causing a lesion on my liver!

I never realised how stressful TTC would be! If I get pregnant I'll try to remember this so I Don't do it again 😂

Laurenamandaaa Fri 09-Apr-21 13:57:23

@Sameoldconstellations thank you I'll try that next month i think, although I'm not sure Id like to have no clue when my period is due 😂 I'm too stressy for this!

Laurenamandaaa Fri 09-Apr-21 13:58:10

@mindutopia so my luteal phase is 12 days normally and we're on day 15 of that now 🤔

Laurenamandaaa Sat 10-Apr-21 20:10:29

Got a BFP today!!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in