Talk

Advanced search

Painted furniture, still not dry 3 days later HELP :(

(17 Posts)
GreyFrenchique Sat 13-Feb-21 17:42:32

Primed then painted an orange pine wardrobe in a light grey colour (oil based) 3 days later it's still tacky in multiple places and paint comes off onto my finger if I touch it.

Prep I did before painting: sugar soap, dried, lightly sanded the surface then primed it using a home made primer using watered down white paint as per instructions online (this is probably where I messed up)

It's just not drying.

What can I do? I've tried a suggestion of dusting some talc on the problem areas but that hasn't worked.

OP’s posts: |
GwendolineWindowlene Sat 13-Feb-21 17:44:41

Is the heating on in the room, or is it really cold?

GreyFrenchique Sat 13-Feb-21 17:46:35

GwendolineWindowlene

Is the heating on in the room, or is it really cold?

It's really cold, the radiator no longer works in that room (spare room) but I can't relocate the wardrobe anywhere else as I've got small children who will touch it 😔

Taoneusa Sat 13-Feb-21 17:48:13

Oil based paint does take a long time to dry. Especially if inside, and warm temperature in the room. There isn’t anything you can do really, except put into the garden to dry.

Taoneusa Sat 13-Feb-21 17:49:12

Sorry crossposted with you. It will dry...eventually!

GreyFrenchique Sat 13-Feb-21 17:49:30

Taoneusa

Oil based paint does take a long time to dry. Especially if inside, and warm temperature in the room. There isn’t anything you can do really, except put into the garden to dry.

I don't have a garden unfortunately.

I don't know whether to leave the window open and let air get to it that way or to take the portable electric heater in there and leave that on for a few hours.

GreyFrenchique Sat 13-Feb-21 17:50:17

Taoneusa

Sorry crossposted with you. It will dry...eventually!

I hope so.

I've got a dressing table and bedside cabinet to do yet but won't be starting those until I know for sure it's going to dry at all grin

Bluntness100 Sat 13-Feb-21 17:52:47

Did you let the primer dry and cure before painting it? It usually takes about two weeks, some uo to a month to cure.

I’d put the heater in there to speed it up.

TornadoOfSouls Sat 13-Feb-21 18:07:37

I’d put the heater in too.

Did you mean that you primed with watered down emulsion? I doubt if that is affecting the drying time but it doesn’t sound like a great idea, it would be better to use a proper wood primer.

TrickyD Sat 13-Feb-21 18:07:40

DH tried to make a desk out of a few pieces of chip board. He painted a second coat before the first was dry., It took weeks for the top coat to be touchable.
Thirty years on it is still fondly referred to as Dad’s Crude Desk.

Wishingwell75 Sat 13-Feb-21 18:08:15

Hang on..... it's not the haunted wardrobe from last week is it? Because if it is you should have asked it what colour it wanted to be beforehand, you've only got yourself to blame!

Changi Sat 13-Feb-21 18:11:07

I have had this happen with paint that has been stored outside in the garage or shed.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Sat 13-Feb-21 18:19:47

Wishingwell75

Hang on..... it's not the haunted wardrobe from last week is it? Because if it is you should have asked it what colour it wanted to be beforehand, you've only got yourself to blame!

What?! confused

Fuckingcrustybread Sat 13-Feb-21 18:20:02

The home made primer won't have caused a problem, oil based paint needs air and heat to dry. So I'd go with the electric heater and open the window.

Caspianberg Sat 13-Feb-21 18:22:57

It’s just needs air and heat. I would open the window and use a plug in heater.
We are doing that atm for new plaster and it’s dried quickly

GreyFrenchique Sat 13-Feb-21 18:24:07

Wishingwell75

Haha yes that is the offending wardrobe grin

To answer others..

I primed it with watered down emulsion yes, it seemed like an easy and cost effective way to do it (according to a guide online) as I already had some white emulsion.

It's possible i didn't leave enough time between priming and applying the grey.

GreyFrenchique Sat 13-Feb-21 18:25:10

Thanks for the tips!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in