Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning mould off upvc window frames

(14 Posts)
LifeInAHamsterWheel Sat 13-Feb-21 15:08:26

Gross, I know, but I don't want to let it beat me.

I've tried scrubbing with a toothbrush and pink stuff paste. They are a lot better but still in the joins there's quite a bit of black mould left. I also tried scrubbing with bleach but that hasn't made any difference.

Give me your tried & tested ways please. I have vinegar, bleach, bicarb of soda, toothbrushes, scourers, cloths... just want my window frames to be white!

OP’s posts: |
IstandwithJackieWeaver Sat 13-Feb-21 15:12:20

Bleach can make it go yellow so don't use that. You also need to be careful about using anything abrasive, like pink stuff, as it will damage the surface and mean that dirt that accumulates after you've done this will be harder to get rid of. Get some uPVC cleaner and try that.

invinovvv Sat 13-Feb-21 15:15:26

HG mould spray!

LifeInAHamsterWheel Sat 13-Feb-21 15:29:18

I'd rather not have to go out and buy stuff, weather is awful here today!

Anyone got any other ideas?!

Lizardcentral Sat 13-Feb-21 16:16:34

Not saying it will work on mould but i successfully removed some old stubborn sticky marks from upvc with hand sanitiser, think it worked because of the high alcohol content.

yeOldeTrout Sat 13-Feb-21 16:18:43

would it hurt to try vinegar?

WetJan Sat 13-Feb-21 16:35:48

Honestly? Put up with it until you can get to a shop and use HG mould spray. Careful round painted areas though, I did a load near my window (got a bit spray happy) and it turned some of the paintwork yo dust.
You can get it in Tesco now too grin

HideTanner Sat 13-Feb-21 16:37:04

Astonish Mildew Blaster

els10 Sat 13-Feb-21 16:38:01

HG mould spray, or any mould an mildew spray, soaked onto rolled up kitchen towel and left on the area overnight!

cpjoli Sat 13-Feb-21 16:39:12

Vinegar and bicarb. Mix in a bowl, spread on, leave for an hour then scrub with a toothbrush dipped in bleach. Always worked for me

LifeInAHamsterWheel Sat 13-Feb-21 17:02:36

Ok thanks, I will try the vinegar & bicarb mix, and if that doesn't work I'll head out tomorrow or Monday and get that HG mould cleaner.

Fingers crossed!

Piggypiggyoinkoink Sat 13-Feb-21 17:04:25

Do you have any Milton to hand? If so, put that on neat. You can watch it change before your eyes!

murbblurb Sat 13-Feb-21 17:05:58

I use the dettol stuff in the green spray bottle, seems to work. Normal bleach should as well. Toothbrush and piece of kitchen towel. Watch it doesn't splatter in your face.

LifeInAHamsterWheel Sat 13-Feb-21 17:13:53

Oooh I do actually have a huge bottle of Milton! I might give that a go as well. What else are Saturday evenings for?? grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in