Talk

Advanced search

Best Dahl recipe?

(25 Posts)
blingblingblingbla Sat 13-Feb-21 13:47:05

Looking for a lovely Dahl recipe please, tried and tested....

OP’s posts: |
sunnysidegold Sat 13-Feb-21 14:02:39

www.roalddahlfans.com/dahls-work/books/roald-dahls-revolting-recipes/bruce-bogtrotters-cake/

I think this would be the one I'd go for.....

Just kidding.
I like this one
deliciouslyella.com/recipes/coconut-lentil-dahl/

FourEyesGood Sat 13-Feb-21 14:04:06

I was going to suggest the one from George’s Marvellous Medicine, but sunnysidegold sort of beat me to it. Sorry OP, I have nothing helpful to add!

frazzledasarock Sat 13-Feb-21 14:08:48

I use this recipe.

I don’t bother doing the charcoal thing but I follow the rest of the steps.

Makes lovely daal each time. You could use just red lentils exclusively I use a mix of red lentil and the other lentils she suggests in the recipe.

DadOnIce Sat 13-Feb-21 14:11:14

I like the one where Danny and his dad put sleeping powder inside the raisins to catch pheasants smile

devildeepbluesea Sat 13-Feb-21 14:11:25

I do

Red lentils
Butternut squash and / or sweet potato
Onion
Garlic
Whatever other veg I have in - carrots, pepper, broccoli, parsnip. Usually 1 or 2 types
Coriander
Cinnamon
Cumin
Creamed coconut
Stock

No idea of quantities. It is amazing and DD adores it. Personally I'd prefer a nice scotch bonnet in there too.

Ninkanink Sat 13-Feb-21 14:11:58

Came on here to recommend our favourite recipe but @frazzledasarock has beat me to it...The above is absolutely delicious. We’re going to make a big batch tomorrow!

twoglassesofprosecco Sat 13-Feb-21 14:13:16

I love this one. https://veggiedesserts.com/red-lentil-dahl/

In fact, I have some the freezer so I'm going to defrost that for dinner tonight!

OhioOhioOhio Sat 13-Feb-21 14:14:12

The first one looks delicious.

Ninkanink Sat 13-Feb-21 14:14:12

You do need all the ingredients, don’t skip anything or the balance won’t be quite right. We don’t do the charcoal step as we haven’t got the equipment for it. It’s a beautiful dahl and well worth the time it takes.

PurpleDaisies Sat 13-Feb-21 14:15:08

The one I make the most is this one because it’s so easy...
www.tinnedtomatoes.com/2013/10/spinach-and-coconut-dal.html?m=1

This is a new favourite. It takes a while but most is just simmering. Don’t be put off by the pasta in it! It’s delicious, but could also be left out...
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/food/2021/jan/09/yotam-ottolenghis-recipes-warming-winter-soups-spinach-dulse-dal-pita-noodle-meat-broth-pomegranate-beetroot

This one with aubergine and dried apricots is a great one too...

thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/aubergine-dal-with-crispy-cauliflower-green-chutney-dosa-and-a-crunchy-salad

HideTanner Sat 13-Feb-21 14:16:28

I love this carrot and coconut one by Anna Jones. I don't bother with the pickle, although I'm sure it's lovely!

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/apr/22/carrot-dal-self-saucing-pasta-recipe-anna-jones-modern-cook

Sweetpea1989 Sat 13-Feb-21 14:16:35

I’ve just added a photo of my favourite, we searched for ages and love this one, think it’s from the Waitrose magazine their recipes usually don’t disappoint. We don’t usually mess about with the tarka bit.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sat 13-Feb-21 14:17:32

http://meerasodha.com/daily-dal/ This is brilliant

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sat 13-Feb-21 14:18:22

helps if I make it click!

ReachedTheEndofCake Sat 13-Feb-21 14:21:13

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spinach-sweet-potato-lentil-dhal/amp

This is a very easy base recipe, great to add anything you fancy, quite often use butternut squash instead of sweet potato and grill some paneer to add at the end. Coriander instead of Thai basil etc, reliable every time.

Splann Sat 13-Feb-21 14:22:51

I use this one so much it’s got its own tab on my phone! Also I can see it’s not the first recommendation, so it must be good smile

veggiedesserts.com/red-lentil-dahl/

MissKhan1990 Sat 13-Feb-21 14:23:51

Chop onions thinly. Between 1 and 2. Add to pan with oil

Fry onions until they are translucent .

Add one teaspoon of curry powder and half a teaspoon of paprika powder. Stir and fry off . Add chopped tomatoes, you might find blending them in a food processor.

Once you have added the tomatoes, stir and simmer. Add salt to taste.

Take off the boil. Wash lentils and add to sauce. Stir through.

Put the mixture into the slow cooker. Add water, enough to cover and stir through. Put on low setting. After 3-4hrs check and add coriander. Check again after 2-3 hrs . The lentils should be soft and the sauce should have thickened.

blingblingblingbla Sat 13-Feb-21 14:27:08

Thank you v much. I will take a look through them all smile

MeanMrMustardSeed Sat 13-Feb-21 14:29:57

Hugh Fernley Whittingstall does a great easy one. Maximum flavour for v little effort, I’d say. Think it’s in his Veg book but I usually just google it.

blingblingblingbla Sat 20-Feb-21 12:25:19

@frazzledasarock and @Ninkanink what lentils do you use please? I've not heard of the lentils listed in the recipe and don't stock them in our local shops.....

frazzledasarock Sat 20-Feb-21 12:47:08

I make it with a mix of red lentils and toor daal (split pigeon peas), it’s available in the world foods section of most big supermarkets. Toor daal can be substituted for Chana daal (dried chickpea lentils). Toor daal is smaller than chickpea lentils and sometimes comes in an oily version and cooks faster than chickpea lentils.

MrsAvocet Sat 20-Feb-21 12:50:48

I use this one and it's delicious. I think it is better with tinned rather than fresh tomatoes. And definitely even nicer if made the day before you eat it.
avirtualvegan.com/creamy-red-lentil-dahl/

JingsMahBucket Sat 20-Feb-21 18:31:33

Placemarking.

Sosigsandwich Sun 21-Feb-21 13:51:01

Currently attempting the veggie desserts recipe!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in