Talk

Advanced search

Chinese New Year ideas?

(8 Posts)
fastwigglylines Fri 12-Feb-21 17:25:10

DP is doing Chinese food tonight to mark Chinese New Year, and we'll probably find something to watch about Chinese New Year.

Our youngest is really fussy and probably won't eat the food though! I'd like to do something so she can join in.

Any Chinese MNers here up for sharing how you celebrate at home? Or anyone got any ideas for simple ways to mark the occasion?

Just trying to liven up yet another otherwise boring lockdown evening and maybe encourage the DC's interest.

I already told them the story of the animals racing across the river to get the order of the Chinese years and they were into that.

My DC are a snake and a rat (7 and 12).

OP’s posts: |
Fivemoreminutes1 Fri 12-Feb-21 17:59:11

Do you have chopsticks? You could teach the dc how to use them and they could try, regardless of whether they’re eating Chinese food or not!
When my dc were going through a fussy stage, they’d still eat a simple egg fried rice with spring onions, peas and a bit of soy sauce.

SausageRoll2020 Fri 12-Feb-21 18:13:11

You can probably Google how to write their names in Chinese and they could have a go at copying the image.

YetAnotherWalk Fri 12-Feb-21 18:15:05

We made fortune cookies!

Decorate a dragon? Chinese lantern?

fastwigglylines Fri 12-Feb-21 18:34:53

Fivemoreminutes1

Do you have chopsticks? You could teach the dc how to use them and they could try, regardless of whether they’re eating Chinese food or not!
When my dc were going through a fussy stage, they’d still eat a simple egg fried rice with spring onions, peas and a bit of soy sauce.

Yes, got chopsticks, thanks for the reminder!

fastwigglylines Fri 12-Feb-21 18:36:23

SausageRoll2020

You can probably Google how to write their names in Chinese and they could have a go at copying the image.

Ooh, nice idea. Is this done phonetically or a translation of the name? (They have relatively unusual names)

fastwigglylines Fri 12-Feb-21 18:39:32

SausageRoll2020

Lovely idea but a bit late in the evening to do it tonight sad, I might have a go with them tomorrow.

fastwigglylines Fri 12-Feb-21 18:43:38

Found this online, DP's cooking fish so we'll do the fish custom, and if nothing else, DD should be into the lucky tangerines at least!

www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/chinese-food/chinese-new-year-food.htm

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in