Talk

Advanced search

Getting more veg at breakfast

(79 Posts)
EnterFunnyNameHere Mon 18-Jan-21 11:24:44

Does anyone actually manage to get started on their 5 a day at breakfast? I'm pretty good at dinners, ok at lunches (albeit mostly fruit) but nothing at breakfast...

I much prefer savoury breakfasts which doesn't help, but most ideas I've found online are either sweet (fruit based) or involve a lot of prep, which isn't really realistic in the mornings!

I might be asking the impossible I realise smile

OP’s posts: |
LutherRalph1 Mon 18-Jan-21 11:28:35

Mushroom and onion omelette?

4amWitchingHour Mon 18-Jan-21 11:29:11

Things on toast? Avocado, beans, mushrooms, eggs & spinach. Green smoothie?

I do none of these things and would struggle with veg at breakfast, but tend to add fruit to porridge or cereal, and have a glass of OJ

Coffeeandcake1 Mon 18-Jan-21 11:30:11

Ive been trying low carb at the moment so breakfasts have been scrambled eggs in the microwave with tomatoes, avocado, steamed spinach and/or asparagus. Fairly quick if you get the veg in the steamer first and definitely have felt less bloated with this to start off with and I've found I dont snack.

Comefromaway Mon 18-Jan-21 11:31:48

My dh often has tomatoes and mushrooms on toast.

Dd sometimes has poached egg and spinach

I have baked beans

Watto1 Mon 18-Jan-21 11:33:02

Mushrooms! I go through she’d loads. In omelettes, on toast, with bacon and egg. Not sure if baked beans count but beans on toast could be on option. Also grilled tomatoes.

Watto1 Mon 18-Jan-21 11:33:19

Shed not she’d

formerbabe Mon 18-Jan-21 11:36:05

I make a delicious breakfast.

Fry a chopped red onion, green pepper in a little olive oil, once soft add a few chopped cherry tomatoes and some chopped coriander...then add some eggs to it and scramble.

Sometimes I add some diced chorizo too

Harrykanesrightsock Mon 18-Jan-21 11:36:11

Scrambled egg with tomatoes spinach and basil sometimes with a bit of crumbled feta and a dollop of pesto.

Thenose Mon 18-Jan-21 11:37:10

I prefer savoury foods in the morning, too. As mentioned, stuff on toast. What about cream cheese with warm mushrooms/tomatoes/peppers/spring onions? You can microwave the veg to save time.

EnterFunnyNameHere Mon 18-Jan-21 11:37:11

Veg omelettes are a good idea! I hadn't thought of "things on toast" beyond beans, doi. I guess could also use pre-prepped veg for speed...

No ago alas, I used to love it, but have developed a sort of allergy type reaction where it proper makes me gip unfortunately sad

EnterFunnyNameHere Mon 18-Jan-21 11:38:02

Harrykanesrightsock

Scrambled egg with tomatoes spinach and basil sometimes with a bit of crumbled feta and a dollop of pesto.

Yum, this just sounds tasty and the virtuous veg is a bonus!!

LaBellina Mon 18-Jan-21 11:40:06

I eat a cup of yoghurt (after my toast or eggs) with some blueberries, blackberries and raspberries in it. You can buy a bag of frozen mixed berries and just keep it in the fridge and use a bit every day. They are also nice to mix with oatmeal.

SpudsandGravy Mon 18-Jan-21 11:42:27

Lots of good suggestions above, plus remember that you can eat anything you like for breakfast - it doesn't need to be our traditional Western-style thing.

Take a look on YouTube at some Asian breakfasts - amazing noodle soups and things, filled with steaming and delicious veggies smile

BlingLoving Mon 18-Jan-21 11:45:15

Am I missing something - is it really important to eat veg at breakfast? I've never really understood the need to have all food group for every meal. If I get enough veg in by the end of the day, isn't that sufficient?

Although all these suggestions of mushroom based things is making me think I really should up my breakfast game. I do love mushrooms on toast or by themselves...!

picklemewalnuts Mon 18-Jan-21 11:46:03

Have a handful of cherry tomatoes on the side of whatever else you have.
I mean, yes you can cook a proper delicious breakfast every day, but when you're just having a slice of toast grab an apple, some toms, a stick of celery, a handful of berries...

Aldi sell a breakfast topper- chopped frozen fruit- that I have a handful on top of cereal.

ItsDinah Mon 18-Jan-21 11:46:30

Tomato juice with its traditional accompaniment of a stalk of celery. 2 portions of veg in that. Only prep. is washing the celery. If you're feeling slightly more energetic about preparing food, make a toast sandwich/bagel with sliced tomato ,watercress/cress/lettuce,and cream cheese or hummus.

LindaEllen Mon 18-Jan-21 11:49:52

You can use fruit juice as one of your 5 day (check the label to make sure they count as not all do, it depends on the content) so that's a good start. Then, I'd have something like porridge with chopped banana and raisins in it. So there's potentially 3 right there!

PARunnerGirl Mon 18-Jan-21 11:51:46

Routine breakfasts for me are:

Smoothie bowls with frozen banana two handfuls of spinach whizzed into them. Toppings whatever else you want (berries, granola etc). If in a rush I skip the toppings and just drink the smoothie.

Avocado, tomato and rocket on toast. Sometimes add some tinned beans heated through with a splash of tinned tomatoes, like cannelini or butter beans.

Omelettes with spinach, tomatoes and mushrooms.

Spinach stirred through scrambled eggs on toast.

Poached eggs with grilled asparagus (avocado or mashed bean spread on the toast)

Lentils heated through with tinned tomatoes and some chilli flakes on toast.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 18-Jan-21 11:52:55

BlingLoving

Am I missing something - is it really important to eat veg at breakfast? I've never really understood the need to have all food group for every meal. If I get enough veg in by the end of the day, isn't that sufficient?

Although all these suggestions of mushroom based things is making me think I really should up my breakfast game. I do love mushrooms on toast or by themselves...!

Not important to have vegetables for breakfast, but if you want to, it's a useful start on your five a day.

Plus having a decent breakfast like omelette or mushrooms on toast is a better start to the day than empty carby rubbish like cereal, pastries or toast.

PARunnerGirl Mon 18-Jan-21 11:53:47

That’s mostly my savoury breakfasts, since you prefer that. I also eat porridge and overnight oats with various fruit/ nut/ seed toppings, and also other things on toast like ricotta and banana with some cinnamon sprinkled on.

EnterFunnyNameHere Mon 18-Jan-21 12:03:48

There's some great ideas here, thanks all (esp the ones which don't take too long).

@BlingLoving I'm not on an absolute mission particularly... It's more if I get at least 1 portion at breakfast it gets me started, and means if I have a cheeky pot noodle for lunch or something I stand a better chance of getting to 5 overall!

Edgeoftheledge Mon 18-Jan-21 12:06:33

Mushrooms, avocado and spinach on toast

Bluesheep8 Mon 18-Jan-21 12:23:06

it proper makes me gip unfortunately

Sorry to derail but I love OP's turn of phrase! grin
Mushroom, tomato, onion and spinach omelette would be my suggestion

soundofsilence1 Mon 18-Jan-21 12:42:16

I like a smoked salmon bagel with cream cheese, tomatoes and onions.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in