Talk

Advanced search

Feeling I'm going mad... keep smelling things no one else can smell

(34 Posts)
listsandbudgets Sun 17-Jan-21 10:14:08

No one in the house smokes but iver last few weeks I keep smelling stale cigarette smoke. Also burning smells and a strong scent of poo. Not all the time but regular strong whiffs.

DP and DCs can't smell them at all confused

Has anyone else experienced this?

OP’s posts: |
EssentiallyDelighted Sun 17-Jan-21 10:15:23

Only when I was pregnant and became super sensitive to smells.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 17-Jan-21 10:15:56

Could be Covid related. Could be migraine related. Could be a sinus thing.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 17-Jan-21 10:16:30

You should probably get a covid test

Vigorothello Sun 17-Jan-21 10:16:48

You need to speak to a doctor.

listsandbudgets Sun 17-Jan-21 10:16:57

EssentiallyDelighted

Only when I was pregnant and became super sensitive to smells.

Oh god I hope not..

Skyliner001 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:17:44

Yes would speak to a doctor.

TokyoSushi Sun 17-Jan-21 10:18:33

I'd start with a Covid test, this was one of my friends symptoms.

NotExactlyMrsCurrentAffairs Sun 17-Jan-21 10:18:58

I too keep smelling smoke! I had covid in October. Only recently started getting my senses back. I wondered if it was related.

listsandbudgets Sun 17-Jan-21 10:25:13

Hmmm... covid.. forget the test perhaps I should just isolate myself for 14 days with kindle, laptop Netflix and Disney plus and let DP deal with home education and cooking and cleaning..sounds almost appeling

Vigorothello Sun 17-Jan-21 12:14:59

Seriously, you need to speak to the doctor.

Mylittlepony374 Sun 17-Jan-21 12:20:05

Vigorothellos right. Talk to a doctor. Could be Covid, could be pregnant, could be migraines, could be brain tumour. See a doctor.

Tempusfudgeit Sun 17-Jan-21 12:24:22

I get such a strong smell of cigarette smoke before a migraine it actually stings my nostrils!

bellropes Sun 17-Jan-21 13:37:30

This can be a sign of a neurological problem, including epilepsy, brain tumour or stroke. A sinus infection can also lead to smellling unpleasant smells. It wouldn't hurt to talk to your GP.

enjoyingscience Sun 17-Jan-21 13:41:24

Covid test, pregnancy test, GP. Probably in that order.

Crookedshoes Sun 17-Jan-21 13:55:58

I have been having exactly the same thing for the past few weeks; it’s like my sense of smell has gone into overdrive. I keep getting sudden whiffs of cigarette smoke as well as a strong musty smell and the grim smell of poo! At first I was worried the cat had done a hidden poo somewhere but after thoroughly checking, I began to get worried that maybe it was me blush however, I’ve been independently smelled (not a sentence I ever thought I’d write) and reassured that I smell absolutely fine.

Maybe we are both being haunted by a particularly stinky ghost??

Busygoingblah Sun 17-Jan-21 13:58:28

You definitely need to go to a doctor. This could be nothing or it could be a sign of something very serious going on with your brain.

DDIJ Sun 17-Jan-21 13:58:57

It's important you get this properly checked out to have anything serious ruled out. Don't dismiss it as covid related.

MegaClutterSlut Sun 17-Jan-21 13:59:02

As others said I'd see a doctor, its a symptom of multiple conditions so I'd get it checked out

Wolfiefan Sun 17-Jan-21 14:00:17

I hope you get an answer soon and that you’re ok Op.

OneNightTimeMenaceStrikesBack Sun 17-Jan-21 14:00:49

i get this and i have both migraines and epilepsy. It was one of my very symptoms of the epilepsy in fact. Epilepsy may not be the case for you of course but its definitely worth speaking to a medical professional as it could be any number of things

WhatWouldPhyllisCraneDo Sun 17-Jan-21 14:02:26

I used to get this, mainly as a pre-migraine symptom. I actually have no sense of smell, other than these phantom ones. Even they've gone away since I started taking daily medication for migraines.

London1977 Sun 17-Jan-21 14:02:43

OP let us know what your GP says!

fastwigglylines Sun 17-Jan-21 14:03:15

It's probably not a brain tumour, but it could be, it's something you need to rule out. I would

1. Book appointment with Doctor, and while waiting:
2. Do a pregnancy test
3. Book a covid test.

wfrances Sun 17-Jan-21 14:06:26

Mine has been diagnosed as migraine.
But After normal scans and eeg.
Make a gp appointment just in case

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in