Talk

Advanced search

Do you have certain foods that don’t agree with you?

(136 Posts)
Lettertoyou Sat 16-Jan-21 08:23:21

I get eczema and itchy blotchy skin and I’m sure it flares up after dairy, especially something like fresh cream.

I get indigestion from some foods like peppers.

I have also started getting an upset stomach every couple of months and I can’t work out a trigger for that but it is possibly too much bread/wheat/cereal.

I would love to do an elimination diet but I find it too hard to do for more than a day or so.

Are there certain foods you can’t eat and give you a reaction? How can you be sure?

OP’s posts: |
Deathraystare Sat 16-Jan-21 08:24:56

Don't like turnip, parsnip or swede - makes me farty, well...extra farty.

Occasionally get a rash from strawberries but I can live with that.

socketpocket Sat 16-Jan-21 08:29:07

Apple juice gives me heartburn

MrsDThomas Sat 16-Jan-21 08:29:50

I cannot eat cold pancakes. I get terrible indigestion it feels like a heart attack!

FippertyGibbett Sat 16-Jan-21 08:31:54

Dairy is a known trigger for eczema.
And my kids have developed dairy intolerance in their teens. One can’t have it at all, the other can have lactose free at the moment.

Scaredykittycat Sat 16-Jan-21 08:34:56

My symptoms all point to gluten, so I’ve cut that out and found I no longer fart 75 times a day, my stomach is no where near as bloated, I’ve lost a few lbs and the pain I often suffered from has gone.

Dairy makes my farts STINK as does meat, so I don’t eat either of those things too often. The only dairy I have now is cheese as part of a meal a few times a week. And I’ll have meat with maybe one or two meals a week, my body can cope with that.

WankPuffins Sat 16-Jan-21 08:37:34

Eggs.

All of a sudden, about a year ago confused

Can eat them in food (cakes, phew), but not cooked alone. I get a horrible brick like feeling stomach ache all day after.

Pain in the arse as I eat low carb so eggs are great for that.

LivingMyBestLife2020 Sat 16-Jan-21 08:37:55

Loads! If I eliminated them all I’d starve to death 😂
I’m Coeliac and have bowel damage from years of damage from Crohn’s disease so anything to fibrous (most fruit and veg) causes me again. My diet isn’t particularly healthy but I drink a lot of medical meal replacements to try and keep a healthier diet

Lettertoyou Sat 16-Jan-21 08:39:58

It’s hard isn’t it? If I give up dairy and gluten, I wouldn’t know what to eat either. I might try at least cutting down.

OP’s posts: |
BikeRunSki Sat 16-Jan-21 08:39:59

Coffee - migraines and nausea
Very much dairy food - upset tummy, stomach cramps
DH becomes very windy with stuff like melon, peppers and cucumber.

Kljnmw3459 Sat 16-Jan-21 08:42:36

White bread. And ice cream/milkshakes occasionally but I can't work out why it just happens sometimes and not always. Chocolate but I love choc and will not stop eating it.

peak2021 Sat 16-Jan-21 08:46:06

Yes there are some that upset my digestion so I avoid them.

Scaredykittycat Sat 16-Jan-21 08:46:17

@Lettertoyou there are loads of alternatives.

I have soya milk now.

Gluten wise I just have GF pasta and GF bread.

bluebluezoo Sat 16-Jan-21 08:47:20

Meat.

Makes me really crampy and sick. I started eating less years ago as a skint student, and found myself instinctively avoiding it after a while, the veggie options in takeaways and eating out always seemed to appeal more.

Now even the smell makes me feel a bit queasy. I struggle cooking for the rest of the family as it always smells “bad” to me - I’m terrified it’s off and I’m going to poison everyone!

LubaLuca Sat 16-Jan-21 08:48:40

Raw onion gives me a headache.
Pastry often gives me heartburn.

andynarwhal Sat 16-Jan-21 08:51:18

Fresh pineapple makes my lips bleed and mouth ulcers pop up. Tinned is fine! Kiwi fruit gives me an itchy tongue.
Never understood it. I flipping love pineapple too.

Springersrock Sat 16-Jan-21 08:51:22

Melon and cucumber give me horrendous bloating and tummy aches

Prawns and mussels make me puke - I love seafood and I’m fine with crab. I always used to be able to eat prawns and mussels until a few years ago.

Too much gluten - DD is coeliac and I have the same symptoms as her but when I was tested I came back negative.

Scaredykittycat Sat 16-Jan-21 08:52:40

@Springersrock could be NCGS. My coeliac screen was negative too but with family history and symptoms I’m assuming NCGS for me.

Justcashnosweets Sat 16-Jan-21 08:57:41

Pastry, especially puff pastry, gives me awful heartburn.

TroysMammy Sat 16-Jan-21 09:04:50

Pork gives me a gripey stomach but I'm fine with bacon. Also too much onion but no problem with banana shallots and iceberg lettuce but ok with salad leaves.

Disgusting I know but I regurgitate mushrooms and mince so effectively I eat them twice. I've got weird guts.

Mistigri Sat 16-Jan-21 09:15:32

I'm severely allergic to peanuts and mustard. It is not hard to be sure when you have a serious allergy. Obviously I don't eat either of those things.

I have milder allergies to some other foods that I continue to eat - for eg I can eat melon in small quantities but can't handle melon skin (gives me contact allergic reactions on my hands).

I used to be unable to eat aubergine - I'm not allergic, it just consistently gave me stomach ache. I stopped eating it for a few years and now I can eat it with no problems.

Cattenberg Sat 16-Jan-21 09:21:24

Coffee makes me very bloated and sometimes causes D & V.
Coffee with milk seems to be worse, weirdly.

noblegreenk Sat 16-Jan-21 09:22:37

Beef gives me terrible wind and tummy ache whenever I eat it. I do still have it but only about once a week. It never used to affect me like this, in fact I only noticed it's affects on me last year, but it definitely doesnt agree with me.

Longdistance Sat 16-Jan-21 09:25:30

Onions and wine make me fart and bloated.
I’m on dry January and I don’t fart as much blush

Mintjulia Sat 16-Jan-21 09:35:22

Processed white bread & pasta makes me horribly bloated, lethargic and headachey so everything in our house is wholemeal now.

There is an 18th century working windmill near us where I buy wholewheat flour and it has the opposite effect. Bread or cakes made with their flour settle my stomach and makes me feel positively healthy and energetic. I don't know if it's because it's truly all of the grain and coarsely milled or because there are no additives but it works for me smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in