Self-employed and broke my arm: anyone know if there's any government support in such situations?

(5 Posts)
anotherpalaver Wed 13-Jan-21 15:13:13

I work in a job that requires me to type and use a computer but shattered my elbow quite badly at the weekend slipping on ice and now need an operation. I probably wont be able to work for an extended period. I know you don't get sick pay under normal circumstances when you're self-employed but wondered if there's any support available if you're physically injured and out of action for an extended period? I'm lucky to be getting the Covid grant but it's not enough on its own as it was based on my first three years in business. I made a tiny amount in my first and second years and only made a small profit for the first time in my 3rd year.

I'm on strong pain killers so am drowsy at the moment but will reply to any responses when I can.

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Wed 13-Jan-21 15:18:10

Claim ESA maybe

GoldGreen Wed 13-Jan-21 15:21:29

You can possibly claim ESA (will depend if you have savings).

If the issue is you can't physically type (rather then mentally not able) have you looked into software like Dragon? You can talk into your computer and it will type for you. I have to write a lot in my job and have dyslexia and being able to talk to my computer is of massive help.

Hurtandupset2 Wed 13-Jan-21 15:28:50

Generally not, I think. You're meant to put money aside to cover things like that, although if you've paid in enough NI contributions in the past you may qualify for ESA.

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Wed 13-Jan-21 15:35:11

I'm self-employed too - I think you can only get basic sickness benefit (whatever it is called) - I had to be off following a road traffic accident once and that was my only source of income for 2 months - it was very little and didn't cover living costs. You might consider some sort of insurance in case this happens in the future.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in