Unfair of me to expect more?

(3 Posts)
Whatcol Wed 13-Jan-21 13:55:10

NC but regular poster! At least recently with lockdown boredom grin

I don’t know if I’m being unfair on my friend here. Just want some upfront advice and viewpoints.

My relationship ended last year and the first lockdown was horrendous. I was unbearably lonely and shaken by the end of the relationship and couldn’t see a way forward. This friend was there for me. She supported me and saw me and was in touch. FWIW she has had a very dark time in the past and I did the same for her.

Obviously now we are in a third lockdown. I have rarely heard from her even when I have reached out and suggested I am feeling lonely. I’m not one for begging for attention and I don’t feel comfortable spelling it out when I need someone, so maybe that’s my failing. But she knows I am alone and a long way from family. She knows I am working from home and go days without contact.

I’m just feeling a bit hurt by it I guess. I don’t need constant attention and pre covid I was and am very independent. I suppose I can give off the vibe I’m ok when I’m not. But what gets to me is that she knows I am alone and she knows I’m finding it a bit shit. The last I heard from her was her telling me her and her partner were really enjoying lockdown and having down time.

I don’t know. Am I being unfair to expect more here?

OP’s posts: |
LagneyandCasey Wed 13-Jan-21 14:11:16

She sounds like she's generally a good friend? I would cut her some slack if she's only recently backed off a bit. Some of my friendships have flagged recently, not because we don't care but because weve barely got anything to say to each other and phone calls are like groundhog day.

Stompythedinosaur Wed 13-Jan-21 14:19:36

I wonder if she is also struggling and isn't in a position to offer support?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in