Anyone changed their name via deed poll

(47 Posts)
Ntwa Wed 13-Jan-21 10:49:04

I've just had my papers returned.
I can't make head or tail of what they require.. Thought I'd done it properly, obviously not!
1 part is confirming what nationality I am.. Seems daft and obvious when I've submitted DOB.. birth cert, passport etc..
So options are 1(1) or 11(1) or 37(1)
Pretty sure it's the 1(1)?!

Second part is getting me to declare via wording and I'm sure I'm going to need the solicitor do redo this.. Nightmare..
Anyone any clue?.. I can't get through on the phone

OP’s posts: |
mamamilkmachine Wed 13-Jan-21 10:56:46

I did mine via an online website, changed my surname to match my daughters, was a while ago now but don't remember it being complicated, only thing I had to do was have a professional sign the paperwork they sent me, it's been accepted by HMRC, DVLA, Bank etc so must be okay.

fingersdoublecrossed Wed 13-Jan-21 10:58:24

I used a company as well. Changing your name is a massive pain in the arse but I'm glad I did it.

dillydallydollydaydream7 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:59:32

DH changed his a few years back. I remember all he needed to do was fill in forms about what he was changing from, to, and gave it signed by an independent witness, so he used my Mum (we weren't married then). Everything was accepted and his declaration came through quite quickly with his new name

dillydallydollydaydream7 Wed 13-Jan-21 11:00:49

What is it they're asking you to declare?

Mackerelpizza Wed 13-Jan-21 11:02:15

I don't understand how you've managed to over complicate something so incredibly simple.

You can print a deed poll off yourself and as long as it is signed and witnessed correctly it is legally valid. There is a free template on Gov.UK

What the heck are you doing?!

Nicknamegoeshere Wed 13-Jan-21 11:05:09

I did my own deed poll for free smile


Jackblackcat Wed 13-Jan-21 11:19:34

Takes two minutes. No idea what you're doing that requires solicitors?!

Champagneforeveryone Wed 13-Jan-21 11:56:25

Mine was a long while ago now but I recall it also being very simple.

ABitOdd Wed 13-Jan-21 12:00:29

Did it myself online I used a company but only as I wanted the certificate to look more official I only paid £15 iirc for 3 copies. No professional signature needed just a witness. Very quick and easy.

catpoooffender Wed 13-Jan-21 12:00:46

I'm assuming you're doing it the formal/enrolled way, which you don't have to do. I was put off this because it would have required my name and addresses to be published online. You can, as others have said, print off a form yourself and get it witnessed.

Titslikepicassos Wed 13-Jan-21 12:04:30

As above. I changed mine with a free template, my two witnesses signed it and I photocopied it. It's been accepted by DVLA, my bank and the passport office.

Ilovechoc12 Wed 13-Jan-21 12:06:34

I did it - 8 months ago
Enrolled deed poll.
I do remember 37 (1)
You can look it all up on gov website .... it’s not easy abs get signed by solicitor plus witnesses .
The solicitor charged me £20 (for 3 signs but with no checking) and some places would do the full forms £300 with checking.

Good luck !

Mackerelpizza Wed 13-Jan-21 12:30:13

Why would you waste time, money and energy getting a deed poll enrolled? Pointless exercise.

Ntwa Wed 13-Jan-21 14:31:09

Thanks for the helpful replies!
As far as I'm aware yes you can do it free BUT places like the passport office and banks won't accept.. Not now they won't anyway. My passports run out hence me now doing it.

I've read the guidance and it doesn't help re the nationality bit..pretty sure it's 1(1) but no answer when I ring and now someone above has said 37 I'm not sure.
Also the solicitor only charged me £5 and I can return the forms if needed so no real cost.

OP’s posts: |
WandaDavy Wed 13-Jan-21 14:36:42

The banks will accept it. I used the template online. Print it out on card/nice paper. Get it signed. Take the original card version into a bank - along with other identification - and they will either take a copy or you can leave them one. It was easy. I really thought it would be difficult but just time consuming contacting places.

Ntwa Wed 13-Jan-21 14:45:42

Thanks Wanda.. Not sure if its any different but I'm completely changing my name, not going back to a maiden name etc.. Due to this they said they needed it properly done.. As I sit with maiden name birth cert, marriage name cert different!

OP’s posts: |
jojogoesbust Wed 13-Jan-21 14:57:24

I did it for free, and just paid about £1 per copy.

I got them all countersigned, my employer (NHS), bank and passport office all accepted it

wowfudge Wed 13-Jan-21 15:07:25

For anyone reading this who *is" going back to their birth name, e.g. after divorce, you don't need a deed poll at all.

Mackerelpizza Wed 13-Jan-21 20:49:02

They will accept it. I've done it.

Kote Wed 13-Jan-21 21:05:49

I changed mine last year. You can do it for free but I decided to pay using an online service (it was around £10-20 iirc) - I know it's kind of a scam as you can do it for free yourself but I also read that the passport office don't always accept your own version and I urgently needed my new passport due to moving abroad. They sent me a document that states my previous and new name. I signed it myself along with a witness and that was it. No problems at passport office, bank etc.

Stealthynamechange Wed 13-Jan-21 21:10:39

I did my by enrolled deed poll last year, im british so it was 11 (1)

Not too sure what your other question is? Sorry might be me being dim.

KateF Wed 13-Jan-21 21:14:05

Wowfudge what do you do to revert to your maiden name if all your documents are in your married name? I really don't want exH name any more but thought I had to do a deed poll.

Stealthynamechange Wed 13-Jan-21 21:15:45

Katef you can use your decree absolut if divorced. Im inpatient so used deedpoll!

Cherryup Wed 13-Jan-21 21:17:11

It did it myself too, just printed the free template on nice paper and got it witnessed by a friend. Job done. Banks, passport, driving licence all done no problem. Completely new name for me too.

It seemed too easy, so I was convinced I must be missing something, but it really is that simple.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in