Landline Phones

(36 Posts)
Smokeahontas Mon 11-Jan-21 21:56:01

I had to renew my broadband / TV deal today & the packages all involved a landline. Asked them to take it off and all the deals ended up more expensive angry I don’t even own a telephone to plug into the socket.

Do many people still use them where you have a landline still available?

OP’s posts: |
FortunesFave Mon 11-Jan-21 21:58:54

We have one because my Mum doesn't have a mobile. It's been useful on occasion....when someone loses their phone and there's nobody else in the house and location is off for example. Also, I'm a bit crap with hearing my mobile and one of my friends always landlines me when I don't pick up.

RedskyAtnight Mon 11-Jan-21 22:02:16

We have one. It's useful as just a "contact someone from the family" rather than a specific person number. Plus if the children need picking up from somewhere (when they are ever allowed to go anywhere again) it's easier for them to use the house phone number and just talk to whichever of me and DH answers, rather than having to guess which of us might be free and ringing our mobiles in turn.

We don't pay for a call package though, and hence always use our mobiles for outbound calls (it's about 40p a minute from the landline!)

wibblewombat Mon 11-Jan-21 22:05:59

I use mine all the time. I use my mobile for most things but never liked calling from one, so don't... grew up using a landline & just more comfortable with it. Line quality is dreadful tho, think Openreach is letting the infrastructure rot.

Fiddlersgreen Mon 11-Jan-21 22:12:03

We have one as we needed it for the broadband package. The phone itself has stopped working and we haven’t bothered replacing it tbh

AccidentallyRunToWindsor Mon 11-Jan-21 22:13:05

We have a package with a landline included but we don't even own a phone.

Soutiner Mon 11-Jan-21 22:15:26

I have had packages that include a landline phone for a decade at least but have not owned a landline phone.

I can’t see the point of my using one.

Advertisement

Carryingon Mon 11-Jan-21 22:17:56

I have it for emergencies ie if the kids needed to call for help. But I never use it except to ring it from my mobile when I want ds to bring me a cup of tea in bed.

FenEel Mon 11-Jan-21 22:18:00

I use landline all the time, vastly prefer it to mobile. If anyone wants to reach me they are much more likely to get me on the landline, where I have three phones that will ring and I will hear them wherever I am in the house, than on my mobile which may be out of battery, may have the volume turned down, and will almost certainly not be in the same room as I am. I talk a lot on the phone for my job (work from home) and since mobiles became popular it has become much more annoying - you can’t hear people properly, they dip in and out of reception, they put it on speaker phone and you can’t hear them - I have to quote people/ get info from them and half the time you only get half of the conversation. It’s even worse now everyone wants to do video calls!

Wendyhause Mon 11-Jan-21 22:20:43

Yes I have a landline but have not phoned anyone from it for at least 3 years! I think I have heard it ring on average twice a year and it tends to be scam callers. I think I bought my LL phone from Tesco for a fiver several years ago. I keep it "just in case" (as you do).

Almostslimjim Mon 11-Jan-21 22:22:15

We don't have a phone plugged in to it, but all broadband needs a phone line, unless you have a 4g dongle. Including the so called "landline free" deals - they just include the cost of the line in the package and you can't make calls.

Cuppaand2biscuits Mon 11-Jan-21 22:22:55

We don't have one,haven't had one for years and years but am going to buy one soon.
A friend of mine had an emergency situation recently where she had to stay on the line to the ambulance service on her phone and needed a second line to call someone to come and look after her children but she couldn't do that until she ended the 999 call.
Made me think that I should have one.

LittleBearPad Mon 11-Jan-21 22:24:18

We have one because it was more expensive not to. It is barely used.

Aquamarine1029 Mon 11-Jan-21 22:24:57

I haven't had a landline for over 10 years.

yankeedoodledandee Mon 11-Jan-21 22:25:12

all broadband needs a phone line, unless you have a 4g dongle.

Untrue.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 11-Jan-21 22:25:21

We use ours. My Gran is deaf & finds it easier to hear on landline phones, I'm also her NOK so we have the landline number on all her records as our mobiles are on silent overnight. School have it & call it before trying our mobile numbers too. Also the GP. We had to buy a new LL phone in the summer as our old one died (it was 11 years old) I've now got a 'BT True Call' it's bloody amazing (& I'm back up to 3 handsets) way better than signing up to telephone preference service. I've had 0 nuisance calls since we got it in July, previously we were getting 2-3 a week even with TPS & being Ex-directory.

DuzzyFuck Mon 11-Jan-21 22:26:22

I have one as needed for broadband, but no idea what the number is and no phone plugged into it.

LeaveMyDamnJam Mon 11-Jan-21 22:27:04

We need it for our alarm system and the fact we don’t get mobile signal at home- rural location. Without it would would be buggered.

TheNationsFavourite Mon 11-Jan-21 22:29:35

No mobile reception at home! Rely on our land line.

Allgirlskidsanddogs Mon 11-Jan-21 22:30:25

Yes. Live rurally, mobiles don’t work in the house unless we use WiFi calling and even then it’s patchy - WiFi doesn’t work in all areas of the house, so a landline is needed.

EssentiallyDelighted Mon 11-Jan-21 22:31:41

We've still got ours, gradually use it less and less but a few places still have it listed as our contact number. Mobile reception isn't great in our house either - you have to be fairly near the front or back of the house to get a really good signal. I like having an old plug in one for power cuts and other emergencies too, occasionally the local mobile transmitter goes down when there's a power cut.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Mon 11-Jan-21 22:34:34

Yes, I wouldn't be without one! Signal isn't always great at home, and I think the landline is usually clearer anyway.

Plus we had a 10 hour powercut over the summer — being able to use the landline (it isn't wireless, so doesn't rely on mains to charge) meant we could make calls but save our mobile batteries.

lynsey91 Mon 11-Jan-21 22:35:50

Yes we have one and use it. My elderly mum prefers to ring our landline. I also do not like giving my mobile number to all and sundry so GP, hospital, vet etc phone the landline.

Also, like another poster, sometimes my phone has no charge and I also do not take it round the house with me. If I am upstairs and my mobile is downstairs I usually won't hear it ring. I can hear the landline easily

PattyPan Mon 11-Jan-21 22:38:40

We have one and since WFH i've been using that instead of mobile, I'm on giffgaff so I have just stopped buying a goodybay between that and wifi.

AvoidingNextdoorNeighbour Mon 11-Jan-21 22:42:11

We have a line that came with broadband as it was too expensive without it. We never use the damn thing and request that MIL and SIL call our mobiles instead. They'll agree verbally and then just phone the bloody thing every effing time.
It's behind the settee on a shelf in case of emergencies so we have to scramble over the settee once we realise what the odd noise we can get is and it's almost always them. Drives me mad. I wish I could unplug it.

And as it's tucked away behind a lamp and a router, it's almost always covered in dust so you have to blow it like a mystical ancient book in a movie before you pick it up.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in