Supernanny, if you're there and listening...

(8 Posts)
sortmylifeoutplease Mon 11-Jan-21 19:54:42

Please can you help us? We are a family of five. Partner started new job last week. I'm a contractor finishing mat leave (should have finished a couple of months ago, but childcare extra scarce right now). I was meant to start part time role last week and do settle sessions with baby at nursery. I've had to pass work to someone else due to homeschooling. Extra pinch on finances painful, but manageable.

So...how do I be the least shit mum I can? YR - zoom calls and work, Y1 child has 4 pre-recorded videos a day about 15-40 mins each, plus worksheets or assignments for all of these and associated printing, uploading, slow server etc. We have two rooms downstairs - one of which is off kitchen. How can I be less of a shit mum to the baby especially, try to help young kids with schooling and get out of house at some point? Dining table can fit two laptops on at a time - one is for partner. If I put baby down she's trying to pull at laptops or take papers off other low kids table. Oh, and ideally YR needs an adult with him on zoom calls and they can't be held in a bedroom.

OP’s posts: |
KindergartenKop Mon 11-Jan-21 21:19:52

Here are your priorities:
1) Baby's safety
2) DH's work
3) Reading with both older children
4) DC1's schooling
5) DC2's schooling

Can you get a cheap exam desk or two and stick DH in a bedroom to work and a DC in living room. Like this: www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=exam+desk&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1311&_sacat=0

sortmylifeoutplease Mon 11-Jan-21 21:36:53

Thanks. No room in bedrooms for desk though. Kids like reading but there is no time for that due to volume of stuff being sent through for DC1, ironic really! It's probably only about four hours of workforce DC1 (minus admin around printing, photographing, consolidating docs, uploading etc), so theoretically should fit it into a school day and have time to take them out, but also need to do DC2 zooms and help his work etc, whilst looking after baby. Obviously need to feed them too!

Cheeseycheeseycheesecheese Mon 11-Jan-21 21:41:00

Could you restructure the schooling and do it later in the day/around dh work and baby naps?
It's so hard and you've just got to do what you can to survive, like kinder said their schooling is less important than safety and dh work.
You've got this.

KindergartenKop Mon 11-Jan-21 21:59:01

These desks fold up so you can use them in the day and fold up at night and can move rooms easily.

Rory786 Wed 13-Jan-21 00:43:03

OP, do you have one child in Reception and one child in yr 1?

sortmylifeoutplease Wed 13-Jan-21 01:56:23

Yes and a baby

Advertisement

sortmylifeoutplease Wed 13-Jan-21 01:58:24

Re the desk, baby is in our room and other two share. Partner is trying to have zooms on the bed at times with sound off. One day further through!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in