Are conspiracy theorists all male?

(16 Posts)
couchturnip Mon 11-Jan-21 14:09:54

I'm curious. I have a (female) friend who has disappeared down the rabbit hole of conspiracy theories. I took a shallow dive into some videos/sites to see what she has found so convincing on an informational level (I think I get the psychological/emotional need for this sad ) What struck me though was that on every nonsensical video the presenter is male....

Is this a thing, and why?

OP’s posts: |
Christinaismyperson Mon 11-Jan-21 14:31:34

I definitely know women who believe in and pedal conspiracy theories. Maybe they don’t publish them so much because men are more likely to assume everyone wants to hear their batshittery grin

pleasefeedthecat Mon 11-Jan-21 14:37:48

I come across plenty of female ones.

ChilternsChaCha Mon 11-Jan-21 14:38:52

No. HTH.

ginandbearit Mon 11-Jan-21 15:32:09

Watch youtube films of tecebnt anti covid lockdown demos ..plenty of women young and old on those and there's a woman making a nuisance of herself filming empty hospital corridors and claiming covid is a hoax along the South coast .

ginandbearit Mon 11-Jan-21 15:33:05

Recent not tacebnt whatever that means

LadyJaye Mon 11-Jan-21 15:33:45

They fall within a bell curve, but I do know a few female tin foil hat wearers.

Advertisement

Gabite Mon 11-Jan-21 15:35:33

Nope, met plenty female ones. Including on here.

ItsGoingTibiaK Mon 11-Jan-21 15:38:19

Absolutely not. I probably see more female than male conspiracy theorists. I also see a correlation between conspiracy theorists and MLMs - particularly essential oils.

Tehmina23 Mon 11-Jan-21 15:44:07

No there's a few local women who are anti lockdown QAnon types including one who was arrested for 'sitting on a bench' or irritating the police more like!

umpteennamechanges Mon 11-Jan-21 15:51:43

No.

All the ones I know are women in their late 20's & 30's.

Possibly because I know a lot of people in the wellness / spiritual sort of area and apparently they are being targeted...

TattyBo Mon 11-Jan-21 15:53:41

The four big conspiracy theorists I know are all women.

TheSexFaceOfEddieRoxy Mon 11-Jan-21 15:55:56

I know a few women who are anti-masker Covid deniers, they are all soap-deniers too

couchturnip Mon 11-Jan-21 18:50:00

What I was trying to say (badly) was that it seems like mostly women promoting the conspiracies on fb but the published stuff they link to is overwhelmingly presented by males. @Christinaismyperson is probably right that it's men who think we need to hear their batshittery!

I've not dived very deeply though - maybe there's a whole seam of female presented videos that I've not come across.

OP’s posts: |
AgeLikeWine Mon 11-Jan-21 18:53:03

No. However much I would like to stick up for my own sex, idiocy, ignorance, gullibility and lack of critical thinking skills are not gender specific.

Unfortunately.

halfeatenhamper Mon 11-Jan-21 18:53:45

I've not dived very deeply though
If I were you, I'd stay away from shark-infested waters and confine myself to the occasional paddle.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in