Virtual birthday parties?

(9 Posts)
BethHarmon Sat 09-Jan-21 10:45:09

Has anyone organised a virtual birthday party for kids?
I did a search to see if there were already threads on this but didn’t find much.

It would be for 9/10 year olds. DS isn’t a fan of big loud parties anyway, and we tend to have smaller events with just a few friends.
In the past we’ve done the usual cinema & bowling, or parties at home, but that’s obviously our this year! So looking for inspiration to use Zoom etc... to do something.

Haven’t got much time to organise so would need to be fairly simple. Thanks

OP’s posts: |
BethHarmon Sat 09-Jan-21 11:43:17

Anyone done anything similar?

Stompythedinosaur Sat 09-Jan-21 13:16:03

For dd1's birthday in the first lockdown we did a zoom party. We dropped off bags for the party beforehand with parents with time for them to be quarantined.

Basically, we spent 10 mins with the dc chatting, 20 mins playing a few games (bingo, a quiz and a guessing game about animals) and then the dc did some crafts together while chatting.

BethHarmon Sat 09-Jan-21 14:04:46

So did you include stuff like bingo cards?
I thought about a quiz but wasn’t sure what kind of questions to include to make it fun and not like a general knowledge testgrin

I was wondering if there were any online interactive games that a group could play online, maybe something like Pictionary

AnathemaPulsifer Sat 09-Jan-21 14:07:18

Have a look at Jackbox games. I think they’d be good for 9/10 year olds.

ilovebruuuceandbags Sat 09-Jan-21 20:35:58

we did a zoom scavenger hunt on zoom on xmas day...name your item....ready steady go find... first one back gets a point. Works well for adults too (but the adults get a pint!).

Stompythedinosaur Sat 09-Jan-21 21:30:06

Beth yes, I put bingo cards and dabbers in the bags.

My quiz had rounds. I did a general knowledge round, There was a picture round which was a sheet of characters from film and TV to identify (and went out in the bag beforehand) and also a puzzle round which had a couple of riddles, some very close up pictures to identify (again sent out in advance)and a dingbats-type puzzle.

You can definitely play pictionary using the zoom whiteboard function.

Advertisement

Leeds2 Sat 09-Jan-21 22:24:58

I haven't done it, but maybe something like an online Escape Room game.

Alexindiamondarmour Sat 09-Jan-21 22:40:38

Yep we did it in the first lockdown last April (I’m in Australia)
We dropped party bags off and I asked the parents to get their kids to draw DS a picture and they all held it up at the same time, it was cute. We played charades and then they just chatted.

To be honest, it was totally lame but it was such a strange time and they were all excited to see each other. He turned 9 so around the same age as your DC.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in