The other vaccinations

(10 Posts)
dementedpixie Sat 09-Jan-21 10:19:24

This suggests its not the end of the world to delay the other one either:

In total, you need5 doses of the tetanus, diphtheria and polio vaccines through your childhood. This will build up and maintain your body's own immunity against these infections and protect youagainst the diseases.

You receive the first3 doses as a babyin the6-in-1 vaccine. The 4th dose is given around the age of3 as a pre-school booster in the4-in-1 vaccine, and the 5th and final dose is theteenage 3-in-1 boostergiven at age 14 (school year 9).

You'll usually only need an additional booster before travelling to some countries or if you have had a certain type of injury.

If you think you may have missed any of your doses, talk to a doctor, practice nurse or school nurse.

TeenPlusTwenties Sat 09-Jan-21 10:19:02

Not an expert.

My understanding is HPV should be given before they become sexually active.
Meningitis is often caught at university (all those teenage hormones let off the leash), so you'd want that vaccine done before then if possible.
Polio, diptheria you shouldn't worry about unless travelling to somewhere where they are prevalent.
Tetanus - just beware dog bites, rusty metal etc and if he has an accident you should be checking whether he needs a booster.

MillieEpple Sat 09-Jan-21 10:17:04

Thats reassuring.

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Sat 09-Jan-21 10:15:01

the MenACWY vaccine – which protects against serious infections like meningitis. You can ask a GP for this vaccine until your 25th birthday, if you missed having it at school or before coming to the UK to study

MillieEpple Sat 09-Jan-21 10:14:03

Thats helpful. It will be iverv24 months for the hpv so hopefully it still works .

I wonder about the others - polio, diptheria etc. They are quite horrid diseases.

dementedpixie Sat 09-Jan-21 10:11:38

NHS says this about hpv vaccine

The 1st dose of the HPV vaccine is routinely offered to girls and boys aged 12 and 13 in school Year 8. The 2nd dose is offered 6 to 24 months after the 1st dose.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Sat 09-Jan-21 10:08:29

Well, assuming it’s the same in boys as in girls, then yes there is a time dependent element. However, I think it’s after a certain time rather than before IYSWIM. So, second dose after five months rather than a certain time. We lived abroad when DDs should have had their HPV so they had it when we got back and I vaguely remember DD2 had two doses but DD1 needed a regime of three doses as she was older. So I would imagine they’ve determined a longer period between two doses isn’t going to effect efficacy, and may offer three doses of recipients slip in to the older age bracket in the interim. Does that make sense? Just my assumption of why it might be deemed ok.

Advertisement

MillieEpple Sat 09-Jan-21 09:58:39

dementedpixie - yes! I should have said - theyvare normally done in year 8 and 9

dementedpixie Sat 09-Jan-21 09:55:53

Is that the teen vaccines?

MillieEpple Sat 09-Jan-21 09:54:12

I understand why, but my son has had his vaccinations cancelled. So its the second half of the hpv which has been delayed twice and the polio, tetnus, diphtheria, meningitis one.

I am guessing with the covid vaccine roll out they could be delayed by a long time as all hands are needed on deck for that.

Is there any risks with this like are those boosters fairly timing dependent or is there quite a safety margin so its ok to shift them by a year or so?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in