Struggling- depression.

(7 Posts)
1234Floor Fri 08-Jan-21 23:32:33

I have severe depression and anxiety, I am on medication and have been taking it for a year now.

I am really struggling with personal hygiene, I can't remember the last time I had a bath or brushed my teeth, I promise myself that I will do it and never get round to doing it.

It's like it's the worst thing in the world and I really can't understand why but it's almost like my body won't allow me to bathe or brush, I can't really describe it.

Please be kind I know this is bad but has anyone got any suggestions that will help me with this issue?

OP’s posts: |
Ruminating2020 Fri 08-Jan-21 23:51:56

Sorry to hear this @1234Floor.

Not had this specific issue, but when I had depression, I would struggle to get motivated to do the usual chores over the weekend and I would just do one thing at a time to get a sense of achievement.

Hopefully, someone more helpful than me will come along and give you better tips.

Hope you feel better soon.

Rebeccasmoonnecklace Fri 08-Jan-21 23:53:57

OP have you been to see your GP for a review of your mental health needs? I’d definitely suggest that.

As you probably know depression and anxiety can be very debilitating and have negative effects on our motivation and concentration levels, which is probably why tasks such as attending to your personal hygiene needs seem insurmountable. Could you set yourself a task each day for the next week such as brushing your teeth one day, washing your face the next day, brushing your hair the day after that and so on until you slowly build up a routine again? Breaking these tasks down into small steps each day should also prevent you from feeling overwhelmed.

The hope this helps flowers

1234Floor Sat 09-Jan-21 00:07:29

I was told to call them after the Christmas period to up my dose of my medication, I'll do this next week and let them know how I'm feeling.

I think breaking it down may help, it just seems like a mammoth task at the moment. I'm not sleeping either which isn't helping.

Thank you for your kind messages.

OP’s posts: |
Rebeccasmoonnecklace Sat 09-Jan-21 00:18:01

@1234Floor I’m glad you have a plan in place to call your GP next week.

Lack of sleep will definitely be having an effect on you too. I hope you feel better soon.

Not sure if you have accessed any Talking Therapy in the past for your mental health but websites such as mind.org.uk and getselfhelp.co.uk have some brilliant information and factsheets available that may help you smile

Student133 Sat 09-Jan-21 00:21:14

Been there and got the t shirt, so I know how horrid it feels. I know how awful it feels, like you genuinely cant move, but if you can, try and have a little 5 minute walk outside. Even if you feel knackered after you get back, seeing the colours helped to get me out of my own head when I was ruminating smile

Student133 Sat 09-Jan-21 00:22:52

Also walking may help to actually tire you out, instead of just the existential tiredness you feel now, so could solve a few problems.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in