How can i make blood tests easier?

(12 Posts)
Birdladybird Fri 08-Jan-21 19:03:36

I have to have blood tests 2-3 times weekly.

Today it took 11 attempts and 3 different doctors to get blood out of me! This was with the baby sized needles too. My veins were nowhere to be seen. In the end they got it from the inside of my upper arm but only after 10 other attempts over both arms sad Doctors all very apologetic and mortified they couldn't get blood from me!

I usually have a problem but nothing as severe as today, normally second or third time works.

Does anyone have any tips of how i can improve my circulation/vein visibility grin.

OP’s posts: |
HalfSizeMe Fri 08-Jan-21 19:04:23

Drink a lot of water in the 24 hours before

pontefractals Fri 08-Jan-21 20:48:23

Drink plenty of water. Keep your arm and hand warm. Lie down. Think about other things (if you stress about the test it will increase your adrenaline levels, which makes it worse). Much sympathy from this rubbish bleeder.

tootyfruitypickle Fri 08-Jan-21 20:50:36

I’ve had chemo and now have one tiny vein in my hand to get blood out of! Tips are to drink acres of water the 24 hours before and warm up your arm. Also tighten and loosen your hand to get the blood flowing . Some nurses are much better than others and I always ask for whoever they have who is best at blood tests but usually go the hospital blood test centre as they are the real experts.

Tomatocultivator Fri 08-Jan-21 20:51:41

You have all my sympathy.
Last time I needed blood taken I ended up nearly hysterical and the nurse gave up.
I haven’t dared book another one.
It’s become a phobia with me now.

tootyfruitypickle Fri 08-Jan-21 20:51:49

Appreciate you might not want to be doing that now but there are always people who are better than others - find them and always see them!!

WhipperSnapperSteve Fri 08-Jan-21 20:52:28

My record, in A&E no less, is 14 attempts. Keeping warm is really important. After 13 attempts a consultant used a glove filled with warm water held against my inner arm for five minutes to make the veins visible and succeeded first time. They were talking about ultrasound and using my feet if he was unsuccessful!!

Advertisement

bonzo77 Fri 08-Jan-21 21:02:48

Drink vast amounts of water. Stay really warm. Exercise. My veins disappear if the room is cool.

Pineapplemonkey Fri 08-Jan-21 21:20:46

Ooh that sounds like my last blood test (I have them very regularly but thank goodness not as often as you, poor you) It took 2 nurses and a doctor and my hand was yellow and purple for weeks after. My tips are if you’re in a hospital (probably not at the moment but I’m pretty sure they’re still doing blood appointments), they most probably have a vein finding machine/scanner/thingy, make them find it for you. The easier one is make sure you’ve eaten, this will obvs not work if it’s a fasting blood test. If I haven’t eaten, I swear my veins sink even deeper and out of sight. I think it’s hereditary, my mum has exactly the same issues, took them over 2 hours to find a vein once when she needed a drip, and they used the vein finder!

Birdladybird Fri 08-Jan-21 22:18:09

Thanks everyone, this was in the blood/lab centre of a major city hospital (in France)! I'm back on tuesday so i will take on board your tips! Difficult thing with drinking is that i also have to have internal ultrasounds at the same time with an empty bladder grin.

OP’s posts: |
mrsrobin Fri 08-Jan-21 22:21:18

Last time I jogged on the spot in the waiting area (for about 10 mins) and then clenched my fist as hard as possible (nurse's advice) - amazingly it did the trick - 1st time ever!!

PowerslidePanda Fri 08-Jan-21 22:57:19

I think it’s hereditary, my mum has exactly the same issues, took them over 2 hours to find a vein once when she needed a drip, and they used the vein finder!

Definitely is in my family!

All the tips I was going to contribute have already been mentioned. But whatever you do, don't let them attempt to get it from the underside of your wrist! Someone did that to me once and although they did eventually get blood, it took ages, was the most painful blood test I've ever had and the bruising was horrific.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in