Good apps for preschool children?

(12 Posts)
Tryingtoremainsane Fri 08-Jan-21 17:49:37

Hi
Can anyone recommend me some useful apps for preschool children? Looking some games and basic numeracy/phonics etc that my DD2 can use when my DD1 is doing her schoolwork on the iPad! As at the minute she wants to watch YouTube on the tablet and it's causing rows!! Don't mind paying for apps but don't want monthly subscription apps!
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Fri 08-Jan-21 18:55:41

the curious george app bundle is good for pre-school children x
apps.apple.com/gb/app-bundle/curious-george/id917669481

Crowsandshivers Fri 08-Jan-21 18:59:21

Reading eggs-great for phonics
Cbeebies Island
Hungry caterpillar
Alphablocks
Numberblocks
Peppa pig
Gruffalo

Crowsandshivers Fri 08-Jan-21 19:00:00

Ah sorry- reading eggs is a subscription but there is a free trial for the month

TooMinty Fri 08-Jan-21 19:03:43

Teach Your Monster to Read is suitable for pre-school, think you have to pay but it's a one off.

Montgomerystubercles Fri 08-Jan-21 19:07:06

I was also going to say teach your monster to read and number blocks.

RedLimoncello Fri 08-Jan-21 19:16:06

Another one for Teach your monster to read. Also Star walk kids is a lovely one with little spoken snippets about the different planets and constellations and some simple quizzes to do. My 4 year old loves both. She also loves the Hey Duggee apps which are quite cute.

Advertisement

Stompythedinosaur Fri 08-Jan-21 19:19:28

All the toca boca apps are good. Not educational in terms of teaching letters and numbers but very engaging and well designed.

My kids particularly liked the vet one and today city.

helenmerritt Mon 04-Oct-21 08:35:54

My daughter is almost four years old and I have already tested several children's apps. What I like best and my daughter is still fascinated by is Khan Academy Kids. It's useful and entertaining at the same time. I like that it is free, you can create multiple child profiles with a cool picture. That is, the child enters the app and immediately taps on his icon and performs tasks. It's like a course and each time you go to a new level. Cool!

And here are some more simple applications that we play ABC Kids, Busy Shapes & Colors. But that's not all. Check out the full list www.appslikethese.com/best-preschool-apps. The various drawing apps are just as fascinating.

BigGreen Mon 04-Oct-21 10:46:01

+1 for Khan Academy kids

TheWayTheLightFalls Mon 04-Oct-21 10:50:48

Another one for Teach your Monster. If anyone knows any good number/math specific ones other than Numberblocks please say - I find the format infuriating!

yoshiblue Mon 04-Oct-21 12:29:07

CBeebies apps - All free, in particular Go Explore is the learning app and it has Numberblocks/Alphablocks on it

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in