Sore throat

(15 Posts)
TheTempest Fri 08-Jan-21 00:37:40

I’ve got a horrible sore throat, have had it a few days now. there’s nothing I can see just a little red but it’s really painful. I have all the usual lemsips, strepsils etc but nothing is touching it. I’m sipping water to keep hydrated but I can’t eat or anything. Any magic tips?

OP’s posts: |
TheVanguardSix Fri 08-Jan-21 00:42:03

Not really magic, but I always boil myself up a pot of hot water with about two sliced lemons in it. I make it 'strong' and I add manuka honey. I also suck zinc lozenges (Zahler is the brand I buy- it's on Amazon) but always on a full stomach. Zinc will make you queasy. Difflam is not a miracle, but it's the only medicine that really helps ease the suffering.

WorraLiberty Fri 08-Jan-21 00:43:02

Corsodyl mouthwash (not the daily one)

Gargle with that. It tastes awful but kills the bacteria. I think it's brilliant.

TheVanguardSix Fri 08-Jan-21 00:43:04

With the Difflam, I should say, it's the spray that I use.

TheTempest Fri 08-Jan-21 00:44:53

I’ll give that a go minus the honey (I’m allergic) and get some Difflam, corsodyl and Zinc Lozenges. Thanks 😊

MadameBlobby Fri 08-Jan-21 00:45:52

Difflam spray
Tyrozets lozenges
Tepid water

greenlynx Fri 08-Jan-21 00:46:19

Phone your GP. I know it doesn’t sound magical but you may need antibiotics if it’s tonsillitis.
Also don’t eat very hot/very cold/spicy/ salty food.

Advertisement

Ditzyduck Fri 08-Jan-21 01:20:38

I've tested positive for covid tonight and I've got a really sore throat so just be careful...
After what's happened tonight nothing surprises me anymore. I'm on the shielding list, I've got no spleen/ immune system and I feel perfectly fine apart from a sore throat and a headache. My partner has tested negative and he has more symptoms than me and has better health than me.

I would be aware the sore throat could be something else...

Bleepertybleep Fri 08-Jan-21 10:28:50

Difflam spray is good but is expensive. If you are going to try it ask the chemist if they have a generic version. I had no idea there was one till pharmacy said they didn't have difflam in stock but offered me a much cheaper one that he said was exactly the same ingredients.

TheTempest Fri 08-Jan-21 10:42:47

I had a covid test last night and it came back this morning negative, thank goodness. Zoe app asked me to get the test. I’ll ask if they have a generic Difflam when I go to the chemist later. I’ve managed to eat some scrambled eggs this morning, feel less sicky as I haven’t eaten in a couple of days. Fingers crossed I’ll be on the mend smile

TheTempest Fri 08-Jan-21 10:43:17

@Ditzyduck hope you feel better very soon and your partner is ok.

SadderThanEeyore Fri 08-Jan-21 10:49:08

Ultra chloraseptic spray is good.
Soluble paracetamol
Warm drinks
Would normally recommend boiling water, apple cider vinegar & honey - but I don't think it would be palatable without the honey!

spiderlight Fri 08-Jan-21 10:59:09

Dequacaine lozenges are good but I think you have to get them from the pharmacist.

DeathMetalMum Fri 08-Jan-21 11:09:32

Gargle dispersible aspirin.

Twinkie01 Fri 08-Jan-21 11:12:12

Get some hydrogen peroxide solution, dilute with water as per instructions and gargle with that. It's about £1 in the chemist, it oxidises the bacteria in your throat so you don't need antibiotics if it's bacterial tonsillitis.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in