Telling work about pregnancy

(4 Posts)
Sami1503 Thu 07-Jan-21 21:41:44

So we are in a covid situation and I have been working through out from home and in work. This lockdown I am due to be in work in work which I don’t mind at all. Anyway when first lockdown happened my manager advised to maybe not get pregnant anytime soon due to what’s going on in the world. But we have been trying for over a year and it was something we really wanted. So now we are and I am 12 weeks with the scan confirming all is okay. I feel so bad about telling my workplace, is this guilt normal? Is this the worst possible timing? Maybe I just need to get it done and face the consequences and chat behind my back 😔 I am so worried and feel so selfish.

OP’s posts: |
GlitterandBalloons Thu 07-Jan-21 21:46:52

Firstly congratulations! You don't have to legally tell them for a while if you don't want to (I don't want to quote how many weeks as I'm not sure but think after 20 week scan?) If you aren't showing and don't feel ready to tell them then no need to especially if it will cause you stress. You manager shouldn't be trying to influence your decision to have a baby either.

Luhou Fri 08-Jan-21 13:37:15

Congratulations!

I had a simillar sittuation in that I was 8 weeks pregnant when coronavirus started to come about...I was hoping that they would send everybody to WFH but after a day or so of thinking they would, nothing happened and the govt. Advice was to take more care when pregnant (not sure if this is the same now, as we now know a lot more about the virus) I had only been in the job 6months, and to protect my daughter and myself I had to tell my manager so I didn't have to work in the office.

I really think your manager has no right to comment when you should or should not be getting pregnant. I would tell them, to give them a chance to appropriately plan for your absense during mat leave as it sounds to me as though that comment was made for selfish reasons concerning the business supposed to covid related concern for you.

The odds are if you've been discussing pregnancy with this person and you know them well enough they will just be delighted for you. Good luck!

VinterKvinna Fri 08-Jan-21 13:44:21

Anyway when first lockdown happened my manager advised to maybe not get pregnant anytime soon due to what’s going on in the world.

I would say this to a friend, but not someone I managed

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in