Page 2 | Have you ever been so disappointed in a food order before

(198 Posts)
Animum2 Thu 07-Jan-21 19:38:31

So today I really fancied an egg mayo sandwich and We all know what that is traditionally supposed to look like, so imagine my surprise when i went to the cafe by work and asked for one

What i got was a thin layer of mayo followed by a layer of egg and another layer of mayo, in my surprise at seeing this made in front of my eyes I didn't think quick enough to stop them and I was left with something that i didn't actually ask for

It was very dry 🙄

OP’s posts: |
Ragwort Thu 07-Jan-21 21:22:41

Frequently- the standard of most restaurant/cafe/takeaway food is so disappointing... I genuinely don't know why I bother. I used to love eating out as a treat, but very, very rarely do I get a properly, nicely cooked meal with good service sad.

S111n20 Thu 07-Jan-21 21:23:39

@DuchessofHastings1 that’s terrible 😮

MotherWol Thu 07-Jan-21 21:44:53

I had a really strong craving for Tom Yam soup, and wanted it to be really good so cycled to the further away posh Thai place rather than the closer greasy spoon one. The Tom yam on their menu was £7.50 so I figured it was the main dish type with rice noodles rather than the starter portion without. Got it home to discover two prawns and no noodles floating in (admittedly nice) soup. Ended up making a sandwich.

WhenTwoBecomeThree Thu 07-Jan-21 21:46:18

A relative once booked a table at one of her favourite 'pubs', think Country pub in the middle of nowhere, rich folk, posh overpriced pub food. She claimed it was the best place, the Sunday dinner came, one measly Yorkshire Pudding, cold veg, the beef was so raw it looked like it hadn't even seen an oven, the roasties were rock hard and tasted vile. It was the worst meal I've ever had in a restaurant, I couldn't believe they charged those prices and served that to customers

DontCallMeBaby Thu 07-Jan-21 21:48:06

Scone with jam and cream.

SQUIRTY CREAM.

Absolute travesty.

Lucieintheskye Thu 07-Jan-21 21:49:15

I ordered a chicken salad baguette from a lovely bakery near us- they always fill the baguette to the rafters and the paper bag it comes in isn't big enough to catch all the fillings! Only it turned up with a pathetic thin slice of chicken, a smear of mayo and a few pieces of rocket. Turns out they had the boss' son in and he rushed it to get back to his phone... The boss gave me 2 proper baguettes and a box of doughnuts to apologise! I've never felt so bad about complaining but the doughnuts soothed the pain... grin

Advertisement

serraserra36 Thu 07-Jan-21 21:53:23

A restaurant in France wasn't thrilled to
cater for a vegetarian. While everyone tucked into a three course deluxe meal, I was given a plate of plain potatoes for a starter and a plate of plain potatoes for my main...

Hyvsvaar Thu 07-Jan-21 21:54:47

Mega pregnant with first baby, MIL took me to quaint Burford for afternoon tea and I got a scone with jelly (not jam) and squirty cream
Total shit show 🤣

Ylvamoon Thu 07-Jan-21 21:56:00

I ordered a tomato and mozzarella salad starter at a well known pizza joint ... I received exactly 2slices of tomato and 2slices of mozzarella spaced out on a large plate with some oil drizzle!

Robbybobtail Thu 07-Jan-21 22:03:03

Mine occurred in France also - whilst travelling as a youngster my friend and I stopped off at a roadside cafe and asked for a cheese sandwich. The woman looked at us quizzically and went off to make them and then came back with basically a French stick with a massive chunk of the smelliest most revolting cheese in it! It was possibly some fabulous French cheese but my friend and I were gagging trying to eat it!

truetuesdays Thu 07-Jan-21 22:10:43

@chilledteacher hahahaha I can only imagine what would have happened if you asked for pasta!!!!

Once I ordered a pizza in a restaurant- ham, mushroom and black olives (my fave)

To my bitter disappointment the black olives weren't pitted!!!! Nearly broke a tooth trying to eat a slice and then had to take them all off as there is no practical way of eating them on a pizza

Thatsnotmynamename Thu 07-Jan-21 22:11:40

LOVE food, and food disappointment is just the worst.
Missing sauces on different occasions over the years:
- no sweet and sour for Chicken balls
- no plum sauce for aromatic duck pancakes
- no sauces with McDonald's order
Written down like that they sound like no big deal, but these are all many years ago and I still feel the disappointment very deeply!

Also holiday in Gran Canaria. DP and I with in-laws and didn't get to go to any of the restaurants we'd got on our list from Trip Advisor. Spent a week eating very disappointing sea food meal after meal, on a bloody island surrounded by fresh sea food! Downing tapas was the main thing I'd been looking forward to on the holiday. Strangely had some very very good steak, but never saw a single cow grin

truetuesdays Thu 07-Jan-21 22:14:34

Oh yeah and a cheese toastie in Prague which was filled with cardamom seeds- couldn't eat it. Was desperately hungover as well and really looking forward to it. Was one of the most expensive restaurants on the main square.

dicdicnurse Thu 07-Jan-21 22:16:09

I once ordered a jacket potato and cheese and it came with three slithers of plastic burger cheese draped over a baked potato!

truetuesdays Thu 07-Jan-21 22:16:19

And in Antigua was offered mint sauce with my lamb. It came out and was neon green mint flavoured jelly.

itchyfinger Thu 07-Jan-21 22:16:39

Once I ordered a side of coleslaw and got a pot of grated cabbage and carrot, no mayo confused

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Thu 07-Jan-21 22:17:03

A fish finger sandwich which came as a battered fish in between two slices of bread! Very disappointing

RavingAnnie Thu 07-Jan-21 22:17:07

williowrosenburg

When you order a hot dog but it's not a frankfurter... just a bog standard sausage.

Also in Disney parks in America, some of the fast food places advertise for example "burger with a side of chips"

Chips in America = crisps! So you get a burger with a bag of crisps! Sooo disappointing!

I understand that in the US chips = crisps but wtf eats crisps with a hamburger or hotdog. Americans apparently. Weird!

katseyes7 Thu 07-Jan-21 22:21:00

Work Christmas 'do'.
I'd ordered vegetable wellington. It arrived with the entire plate, veggies, everything, covered in meat gravy.
I took it back and the manager looked at it and said "Who's done that?!""
Got another one, sans gravy (which l hated even when l ate meat) within about five minutes.

katseyes7 Thu 07-Jan-21 22:26:42

Over 20 years ago my husband and l went to see a concert at Wembley stadium (the old stadium). We were staying in a decent hotel nearby.
I ordered a club sandwich in the bar which was meant to have avocado in it. When it arrived l could see a few faint flecks of green, not the slices or mashed avocado l was expecting.
My husband had ordered a pint of Guinness at the bar while we were waiting for our food. They gave him gin and tonic. The person behind the bar didn't have English as a first language, but....
Spoke to the manager who very kindly comped our entire meal.
Couldn't fault them after that.

Dontsayfuckorbugger Thu 07-Jan-21 22:27:36

Me and work colleagues decided to treat ourselves to fish and chips and lunch time. All spent all morning salivating about our delightful lunch and pre ordered it for 1pm pick up. Picked it up, excitedly opened our scrumptious smelling paper packages to find every order had been smothered over zealously with half an inch of salt all over. Absolutely disgusting. We tried to pick out way through it but ended up putting most of it in the bin and drinking pints of water all afternoon due to dehydration. So bloody disappointing

BeastOfBODMAS Thu 07-Jan-21 22:30:12

I once ordered pizza for delivery to my house about 9.40pm, the order was confirmed online for delivery and the place was due to shut around 10.30
Not only did the pizza not turn up....
They delivered it 5pm the following day when they opened ...TO MY EX BFs ADDRESS

cafenoirbiscuit Thu 07-Jan-21 22:31:15

I once ordered garlic bread which was a toasted pitta with garlic Mayo.

Also I once had a lovely jacket potato in a pub .... it was served with salad and chips 🥴

MarkRuffaloCrumble Thu 07-Jan-21 22:31:19

I wonder if the Americans thought we Brits wanted crisps with our burgers because everyone kept asking for ‘chips’?!

I think the squirt cream scone might win this battle of disappointment. But no sauce with my chicken selects EVERY frigging time I do a drive through order and specifically ask “are the sauces in there?” - raging. angry

MarkRuffaloCrumble Thu 07-Jan-21 22:32:07

As in, maybe the Americans get actual chips/fries!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in