Nice gift for hospital staff?

(12 Posts)
AuntyPonsonby Thu 07-Jan-21 16:57:19

Any ideas for a nice gift for nurses and other care staff on a ward? They've been really good, so preferably something generous. Ideally something I can order for delivery, because we're not allowed onto the ward.

OP’s posts: |
Pigeonsareclever Thu 07-Jan-21 17:02:35

Fruit basket or takeaway voucher?

XVmama Thu 07-Jan-21 17:16:31

Teabags, herbal teas, instant coffee.
Biscuits both savoury and sweet.
Jars of nice bought (not home-made, for hygiene reasons) jam with their seals intact. Stick on a sticker with a personal thank you message on the back and they’ll be thrilled.
A tray of Pret delivery sandwiches.
Small tubes of hand cream.
Boxes of biros.

If you’re feeling especially generous, a few Littmann stethoscopes. They’re always getting nicked or lost.

A junior doctor earns less than £30k a year out of which they need to pay travel (including parking at the fucking hospital angry) and meals at work, so frankly anything edible or free is received with delight.

Pigeonsareclever Thu 07-Jan-21 17:18:02

I think it’s for the nurses and care staff who earn even less...

20viona Thu 07-Jan-21 17:18:16

Speaking from experience any generosity is so kindly appreciated. Tea, coffee, hot choc, squirt cream and marshmallows, sachets of mocha, lattes anything like this is great and will be used. Very kind of you.

KitKat1985 Thu 07-Jan-21 17:19:43

Speaking as a nurse, I can honestly say the thing we appreciate the most is a really nice thank you card. A thank you goes a long way to boosting our morale.

Oldandcold Thu 07-Jan-21 17:20:50

Avoid biscuits and sweets. Currently we are not allowed to share food so the communal biscuit tin is out. Mini hand creams are an excellent idea, we had some they were very well received

Advertisement

Mommabear20 Thu 07-Jan-21 17:24:10

I sent a costa coffee gift card to the midwife that delivered our DD, easy to post but gives them a chance to get something that might otherwise be considered a none necessary for people struggling with finances after such a tough year

XVmama Thu 07-Jan-21 17:24:21

Sorry @Pigeonsareclever you’re quite right. I misread. (Earnings are very similar at that level though).

Isadora2007 Thu 07-Jan-21 17:24:27

Sainsbury’s had boxes of individual packets of those nice biscuits. Which is ideal for sharing but staying within infection control . Big jars of quality coffee. Spare mugs. A handwritten card outlining why what they did was appreciated.

snowdropstime Thu 07-Jan-21 17:27:14

Did you get great care from any particular staff members?
Nurses have to revalidate every 3 years and a lovely, positive letter would be very welcome.

2021betterbebetter Thu 07-Jan-21 18:10:07

On my ward patients/their families would sometimes give a cash gift, this would be saved and we would have ward nights out where it would pay for a meal each. Our ward sister was quite militant in making sure that these donations were kept specifically for that purpose though and I've heard of this being used to buy equipment etc rather than benefit the staff - but I have had a few nice nights out thanks to the generosity of patients and their families.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in