Are there travel MLMs?

(24 Posts)
Icenii Fri 01-Jan-21 20:04:59

20 something relative just posted about a new business venture in travel, arranging travel and getting a commission. It didn't sounds like a new job but something she is managing. Lots of family members responsed keenly. Just worried it sounded like a MLM but not sure if it works with travel?

Are MLMs really bad?

OP’s posts: |
addictedtotheflats Fri 01-Jan-21 20:09:20

Theres a good documentary on netflix about MLMs, they should be illegal. Very exploitative.

marisacoulter Fri 01-Jan-21 20:12:35

Yes you can get travel agency ones. I've known people doing them for arranging disney holidays etc. They are like pyramid schemes, the real money is made by recruiting more people to join.

Snappyteabread Fri 01-Jan-21 20:15:33

addictedtotheflats

Theres a good documentary on netflix about MLMs, they should be illegal. Very exploitative.

Can you tell me what's it's called please?

Cheeseycheeseycheesecheese Fri 01-Jan-21 20:17:30

marisacoulter

Yes you can get travel agency ones. I've known people doing them for arranging disney holidays etc. They are like pyramid schemes, the real money is made by recruiting more people to join.

So true with the recruitment thing. A friend got a "promotion" before she'd even arranged any holidays.

BornIn78 Fri 01-Jan-21 20:18:27

I think there must be because several of my Facebook friends have recently posted exactly the same - new business ventures as travel consultants, the usual “my own boss” type posts that I recognise as MLM.

OrigamiOwl Fri 01-Jan-21 20:22:02

Yes, there are travel agent ones. I've got a Facebook friend who is heavily involved in Younique, who is also apparently a self-employed travel agent. She had no experience in the travel agent but apparently she's now trying to flog holidays.

Advertisement

icingcupcake Fri 01-Jan-21 20:30:33

I was wondering this, I’ve seen a couple of friends who have previously been involved in MLMs who are now ‘independent travel consultants’ or something in Facebook

StormyInTheNorth Fri 01-Jan-21 20:32:15

I got involved with a book MLM. The products were overpriced and IMO mostly vanity books to use as gifts. I made the required start up and finished quick. Fuck knows what I was thinking. I posted in depth on here if you AS.
There are travel MLMs, like pps I see them on facebook.

polkadotpixie Fri 01-Jan-21 20:34:40

I was wondering why a couple of my FB friends had suddenly become independent travel consultants...all makes sense now if it's a new MLM scam

TwirlingTwizzler Fri 01-Jan-21 20:38:56

Oh the travel ones have been on our local selling pages the whole of last year. I take great delight on commenting about what a bunch of shysters they are.

AlexCabot Fri 01-Jan-21 20:40:15

Inteltravel is the one I'm seeing most on Facebook.

To be honest, it seems less MLM and more outright scam. There's a fee to set it up, a monthly charge (which I think is 3 figures) and the 'holidays' they advertise are completely fictional ie 2 weeks full board in Florida plus flights and park tickets for about £500 per person.

The difference between a MLM and an illegal pyramid scheme is that a MLM sells a physical product but the travel ones don't appear to actually sell anything.

A very expensive way to role play being a travel agent.

Icenii Fri 01-Jan-21 20:41:43

But if they are a sham, wouldn't people stop selling the holidays?

OP’s posts: |
AlexCabot Fri 01-Jan-21 20:50:56

They're not selling any holidays. Especially at the moment.

MLM's and the people involved are by their very nature, untrustworthy. They will literally say anything to make a few quid.

There's a reason why 'fake it til you make it' is the mantra of the MLM business.

AlexCabot Fri 01-Jan-21 20:52:09

They claim to be selling holidays and making £50000 an hour to attract others to sign up under them.

Serenschintte Fri 01-Jan-21 21:01:08

Is this why all the reality tv ppl are in Dubai for business opportunities?

Malibu295 Fri 01-Jan-21 21:09:06

Inteletravel is one that I tried throughout lock down. The holidays are real and not a scam and you earn about 10% commission but 3% of that goes to Inteletravel.

In the small print there was a transaction fees which meant when I was supposed to earn £100 I ended up with about £20 so felt very let down.

They are like normal MLM's in the sense you can make a small amount of money selling things but the real money is in getting teams below you which really isn't easy! Plus the monthly fee is upwards of £50.

I do know people making upwards of £100k a year but was a lot harder than they made out and I fell for it! X

TheCantankerousMare Fri 01-Jan-21 21:10:06

Is she using hashtags like #bossbabe and harping on about working flexibly with an amazing international team of women?

I was targeted by an MLM travel Instagram. Hadn’t realised it was a thing but apparently so. Super pernicious. Try and steer her away if you can.

addictedtotheflats Fri 01-Jan-21 21:37:46

@Snappyteabread apologies its on iplayer " secrets of the multi level millionaires"

NothingIsWrong Fri 01-Jan-21 21:41:15

Who the hell is even buying holidays at the moment?!

Soutiner Fri 01-Jan-21 21:42:41

MLM should be banned worldwide.

Examples here

medium.com/*@mariagarciaaust*/top-mlm-travel-companies-fbc78c5cba34

Snappyteabread Fri 01-Jan-21 21:54:47

addictedtotheflats

*@Snappyteabread* apologies its on iplayer " secrets of the multi level millionaires"

Thank you. Will check it out

Frank2020 Thu 07-Jan-21 15:45:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

myusernamewastakenbyme Thu 07-Jan-21 16:49:21

The last few days there has been an explosion of mlm ads on my local facebook selling sites....they are driving me nuts and i report them to the admins but im fighting a losing battle.
Any of my friends who become 'independent consultants' will swiftly be unfriended.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in