Still European

(144 Posts)
MrsBrunch Fri 01-Jan-21 17:30:06

Does anyone know why people are putting this on their FB profile picture?

Obviously when we left the EU we didn't leave the continent, we are still part of europe. Is it because some people think we aren't or something?

OP’s posts: |
Soutiner Fri 01-Jan-21 17:31:43

Because remoaners are attention seeking sore losers! grin

borntohula Fri 01-Jan-21 17:38:46

As I recall from being on FB, yes there are people who think we've actually left Europe.

HerLadySheep Fri 01-Jan-21 17:41:06

Because some of us feel very cross and upset about losing our freedom of movement and snide comments about "remoaners" don't really help!
Brexit is will cause enormous expensive problems for the business I work for, it might be the nail in our coffin after Covid.

MrsBrunch Fri 01-Jan-21 17:41:09

But are they doing it as a sort of public service announcement to let people know we are still part of the continent of Europe.

Or do they not realise we are part of Europe and are just displaying their personal desire not to let go of the EU.

That's the bit I'm confused about.

Because people who voted leave could also post that they are still European couldn't they, as a reassurance to others or, again, just to inform?

confused

MrsBrunch Fri 01-Jan-21 17:43:25

borntohula

As I recall from being on FB, yes there are people who think we've actually left Europe.

That's what I'm wondering about. It hadn't occurred to me that people thought we were changing continents. Blimey, no wonder there are some people very upset.

What continent do they think we are part of now then?

Camomila Fri 01-Jan-21 17:44:14

They know they are still in Europe, they are just a bit upset (the people I know who have put up statuses are mainly EU citizens that have lived here for years)

Advertisement

cyclingmad Fri 01-Jan-21 17:46:02

Well considering remainers like to always stay how leavers are stupid idiots, well look who is the idiot now by doing that. Honestly what stupid thing to do.

Clymene Fri 01-Jan-21 17:47:06

It's really not difficult to understand is it? confused

MrsBrunch Fri 01-Jan-21 17:49:43

Clymene

It's really not difficult to understand is it? confused

If it is literally just stating the bleeding obvious then I am at a loss as to why.

june2007 Fri 01-Jan-21 17:50:24

Left the EU not Europe. I mean switzerland is not in the eU is it but it,s still Europe.

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 01-Jan-21 17:53:21

Does anyone know why people are putting this on their FB profile picture?
Have you tried asking them OP?

Beecham Fri 01-Jan-21 17:53:34

Don't think too deeply about it. It's just a nod to the fact that today is day one of proper, full Brexit. Of course we're all still European, it's just easier to write that than 'Still feel like a member of the EU'

Laska2Meryls Fri 01-Jan-21 17:54:36

62% people in Dover voted out..... Now they are complaining about the building of lorry parks to cope with the added bureaucracy (which wasn't needed before) Ho Hum ..

wowfudge Fri 01-Jan-21 17:55:25

MrsBrunch

But are they doing it as a sort of public service announcement to let people know we are still part of the continent of Europe.

Or do they not realise we are part of Europe and are just displaying their personal desire not to let go of the EU.

That's the bit I'm confused about.

Because people who voted leave could also post that they are still European couldn't they, as a reassurance to others or, again, just to inform?

confused

I don't believe you are confused at all. You are just asserting your perceived superiority as you did not vote for the UK to remain in the EU.

MrsBrunch Fri 01-Jan-21 17:57:01

DioneTheDiabolist

*Does anyone know why people are putting this on their FB profile picture?*
Have you tried asking them OP?

I wanted to but then I thought maybe I shouldn't. I thought I'll ask mn and if anyone there has done it they might tell me why.

bugwife9 Fri 01-Jan-21 17:57:22

Come on Op this is obvious, they're obviously upset about Brexit and want to express their feelings and their identity. Brexit is a steaming pile of shit and has made life much more complicated and uncertain for some people.

We're out so those who voted for it got their way and can perhaps now be a tad more empathetic/respectful to those who are still unhappy about it. Your post comes across as being deliberately ignorant to get a rise out of people.

murbblurb Fri 01-Jan-21 17:59:47

making a point with the old 'anyone who has or had any doubts at all about the EU is a dirty fascist', I fear. People think in absolutes.

pride (or shame) in your nationality (or continent) always seems a bit daft to me. It's not as if you did anything to influence it!

wowfudge Fri 01-Jan-21 18:00:18

I agree with you @bugwife9 and that is why I've reported the thread.

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 01-Jan-21 18:00:24

I wanted to but then I thought maybe I shouldn't.
Why on earth not?confused

wowfudge Fri 01-Jan-21 18:01:48

The OP is the most disingenuous person I've encountered this year so far.

Fuckingcrustybread Fri 01-Jan-21 18:06:39

bugwife9

Come on Op this is obvious, they're obviously upset about Brexit and want to express their feelings and their identity. Brexit is a steaming pile of shit and has made life much more complicated and uncertain for some people.

We're out so those who voted for it got their way and can perhaps now be a tad more empathetic/respectful to those who are still unhappy about it. Your post comes across as being deliberately ignorant to get a rise out of people.

Works both ways, why the fuck should anyone be respectful to a person who states that a democratic decision is a steaming pile of shit, just because they don't agree with the result of the referendum.

giletrouge Fri 01-Jan-21 18:06:59

Because my European citizenship and rights have been ripped from me against my will. By old white men, mostly.
HTH.

MrsBrunch Fri 01-Jan-21 18:08:35

wowfudge

The OP is the most disingenuous person I've encountered this year so far.

Haha I can see why you might think that.

The thing is, this is a straight up post. I honestly don't see how posting that you are part of the same continent you were prior to Brexit means anything.

I did wonder if they were trying to reassure people as in, it's ok, we've left the EU but we are still part of Europe.

And if they were doing it for that reason, then it could be done by people who voted leave too.

Also, I wondered if they did actually think we were no longer part of the continent so I was hoping that someone who has done could tell me why.

For clarity, I am a remainer but not a remoaner.

annevonkleve Fri 01-Jan-21 18:10:26

giletrouge

Because my European citizenship and rights have been ripped from me against my will. By old white men, mostly.
HTH.

Yes. In fact I would say by men in their 50s who watched too many war films about how amazing Britain was to win the war all on its own (!) and think nothing has changed in 80 years.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in