Page 4 | HE'S HERE

(132 Posts)
Gooseygoosey12345 Sun 27-Dec-20 17:07:12

My lovely friend had her beautiful baby boy last night. They've not put anything on social media yet so I thought I'd ask here! I want to get her a few little bits that I can leave on the doorstep. I made her a hamper a month back but I'd like to get some little bits for baby now we know he's a boy.

So, what did somebody buy for your baby that you absolutely loved?
And also, what would have loved to/did you receive that was useful/thoughtful/unexpected but loved?

I'm so excited for them and also so disappointed that I can't offer more support thanks to bloody Covid! Not that I'd push it on them anyway of course! But I just want her to know I'm here and thinking of her if she needs anything

OP’s posts: |
MyCatShopsAtAldi Sun 27-Dec-20 18:38:05

My best present first time round was a Tuppence and Crumble star wrap, which was brilliant for buggy walks and the car. It was so good I asked for a smaller size one for my winter baby second time round!

My best present second time round, wrap notwithstanding, was a box of cake a friend had posted/delivered. It was amazing!

Gooseygoosey12345 Sun 27-Dec-20 18:38:33

These are all excellent ideas. I'm getting a list going

peanacat Sun 27-Dec-20 18:38:55

Haven’t RTFT though I have skimmed so sorry if already suggested. If she had a vaginal birth then I highly recommend Spritz for Bitz by the Expert Midwife. I had a second degree tear and I didn’t have to take a single pain killer when I got home. It’s a bit pricey so maybe she wouldn’t think to buy it for herself. The baby bum balm they do is also amazing, I find sudocrem stings my DD when she has a proper sore bum, but that doesn’t.

BlairCorneliaWaldorf Sun 27-Dec-20 18:38:59

Warm button front PJs for Mum if she is breastfeeding. And slipper boots. F’ing freezing being up half the night at this time of year.

A lovely blanket. I only ever bought very practical boring ones so loves receiving a couple of nicer ones.

Lemonandlime123 Sun 27-Dec-20 18:39:40

We had our second 6 weeks ago and were given a voucher for cook (home made ready meals delivered) and it was a lifesaver! They do a new parents gift voucher I believe.

DressingGownofDoom Sun 27-Dec-20 18:40:36

TisTheSeasonToEatLots

*@Salapandas* who on earth buys ready meals when they’ve had a baby? I couldn’t think of anything worse than eating processed crap, very strange logic. If you can’t afford to eat you can’t afford to have a baby besides!

Haha yes that's exactly how it goes. No one ever has a baby if they can't afford to buy fresh ingredients and cook from scratch. fbiscuit

Advertisement

Gooseygoosey12345 Sun 27-Dec-20 18:40:44

peanacat

Haven’t RTFT though I have skimmed so sorry if already suggested. If she had a vaginal birth then I highly recommend Spritz for Bitz by the Expert Midwife. I had a second degree tear and I didn’t have to take a single pain killer when I got home. It’s a bit pricey so maybe she wouldn’t think to buy it for herself. The baby bum balm they do is also amazing, I find sudocrem stings my DD when she has a proper sore bum, but that doesn’t.

Ooh yes, great idea! Think that'll be appreciated a lot!

Gooseygoosey12345 Sun 27-Dec-20 18:41:35

BlairCorneliaWaldorf

Warm button front PJs for Mum if she is breastfeeding. And slipper boots. F’ing freezing being up half the night at this time of year.

A lovely blanket. I only ever bought very practical boring ones so loves receiving a couple of nicer ones.

I just bought her a set grin and I made her a fancy blanket, tempted to make another larger one though!

WhySoSensitive Sun 27-Dec-20 18:41:43

Ready meals. Not ashamed to say my favourite gift was two Charlie Bigham ready meals. About five days in my euphoria crashed and I needed FOOD!

Bellaphant Sun 27-Dec-20 18:42:35

A hooded towel. Super cute, super useful, can be used for a long(Ish) time.

Starburst12 Sun 27-Dec-20 18:45:14

A sensory box for the baby filled with sensory toys!

Minniem2020 Sun 27-Dec-20 18:45:19

It sounds really boring but one of the best presents I've had for both of mine was a pack of nappies. That and wipes /cotton wool. Not so much baby toiletries as I got loads of that and still have it 3 years later but the other things were very much appreciated. Also 2nd what a pp said about buying clothes in bigger sizes, but remember to think about what the season will be when baby is that age before choosing

CovidHalloween Sun 27-Dec-20 18:48:22

Meals. We invested in some healthy-ish ready made meals with lots of green salads and fresh fruits . No family near by to cook for us sadly we were so sleep deprived to cook.

SarahBellam Sun 27-Dec-20 18:52:36

A Molton Brown shower gel and moisturiser. Books for when the baby is older - Oliver Jeffers does some lovely ones.
Snacks - chocolate, nice coffee, good teabags. An insulated mug.

Don’t get anything that involves more effort like plaster of Paris footprints or anything like that.

caringcarer Sun 27-Dec-20 18:55:27

Cook a couple of lasagne for her to freeze and some cakes too. Nice coffee for Mum.

Snapcat Sun 27-Dec-20 18:55:30

If you’re going to get flowers then the best ones in my opinion are the flowers already arranged and set in oasis so that there is no prep needed.

Frazzlefrazle Sun 27-Dec-20 18:57:39

This is such a silly thing but all I ever wanted was a helium balloon so that I could keep it to put in the baby books. Not one person bought one for us.

FabbyMagic Sun 27-Dec-20 19:00:49

These star wraps are fantastic and lots of different colours tuppenceandcrumble.com/shop/

FluffyMcWuffy Sun 27-Dec-20 19:01:24

When I had my first my friend turned up with food (snacks), meals, magazines, chocolates and a little teddy for the baby. I thought that was wonderfully kind. She’s thought of baby and me. If you’re buying baby clothes then get a size up as newborns tend to get loads of stuff then once they are 6 months old the clothes giving dries up. I was always grateful for 1year + on clothes front as had so many newborn baby grows and clothes many were not used. You sound a lovely friend btw!

Verrucapepper Sun 27-Dec-20 19:02:06

I always buy friends a month subscription to Gusto or Hello Fresh, and nice ready meals from M&S etc with small packs of veg for the freezer. Anything to make life easier for mummy. Maybe a nice drinks bottle like a Chilly bottle?

FluffyMcWuffy Sun 27-Dec-20 19:03:11

COOK does some fantastic new parent meal boxes. I think a great idea as after a month or so after baby has arrived the new parent is kind of forgotten about so could you organise for one to turn up in a month or so time?

Gooseygoosey12345 Sun 27-Dec-20 19:03:19

Frazzlefrazle

This is such a silly thing but all I ever wanted was a helium balloon so that I could keep it to put in the baby books. Not one person bought one for us.

DH said helium balloon, I have to agree with you both. I never got one either!

DollyMixtureLulus Sun 27-Dec-20 19:05:43

Oh this is so lovely. You are such a good friend flowers

ShellieEllie Sun 27-Dec-20 19:07:14

Looking back the gift I remember most was some really nice biscuits.

Thehollyandtheirony Sun 27-Dec-20 19:09:49

DS got a musical rabbit that he still plays with years later. It’s just a plain looking sweet bunny and when you pull the string it plays a lullaby.
My best present was a friend who delivered a massive box of pastries from our favourite bakery. I pinched this idea and took a big cake to another friend. Just try to choose something that will last a few days.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in