Page 2 | Diazepam

(72 Posts)
SwankySharky Tue 22-Dec-20 21:17:17

Having a really awful time at the moment with trauma and had a massive plan to get through the Christmas holidays with a therapy break but T4 means it's all gone to shit.

I've been prescribed diazepam which is coming tomorrow and it's been years since i have taken it.

Does it work quite quickly? Theyve given it to me to help me sleep but generally at the moment just want to take it in the day time as well and sleep constantly so my mind switches off.

OP’s posts: |
OmarListening Tue 22-Dec-20 21:47:59

If you're struggling that much with sleep and are not accustomed to diazepam I'd cut the 5mg pills in half and take 1 half about 7pm to help you relax and the other half when you get into bed. 5mg is quite high to start.

If that's not enough you can always build up.

AcornAutumn Tue 22-Dec-20 21:48:28

I hope you get a good night’s sleep OP amd best wishes for recovery flowers

SwankySharky Tue 22-Dec-20 21:50:19

OK thank you so much - one more sleepless night and tomorrow it is being dropped off, I think half may be the way to go as everyone is suggested (I can always take the other half if needed can't i?)

Dee261 Tue 22-Dec-20 21:53:02

They work fairly quickly to enter your system not like other medications for mental health that can take up to 1 month or more before you get any sort of help from the medicine if that makes sense.

They stay in your system for 48hrs so the first few days of you take the 5mg twice a day you may feel more drowsy than usual.

They are not sleeping tablets they are more a relaxer but as your not used to have having them for a long time then you may get a sleep with them.

The concern is that you mentioned that you had a benzo issue years ago and they have gave you one of the worst to get addicted to so I know that there is a reason you have been prescribed then maybe try and stick to 1 per day and if it gets really unbearable then take the other 1.

Try and avoid any caffeine items as this is going to counter balance the effects that your looking for and also pineapple sounds silly but it interacts with some medication for some weird reason.

Wishing you well and hope they help settle you flowers

ChristmasSomething Tue 22-Dec-20 21:53:04

Yes absolutely. If no result in half hour then take the other half etc

ChristmasSomething Tue 22-Dec-20 21:53:48

Fwiw I get given the 2mg tablets now and I take between 1-3 depending on what it’s for and how I am.

Advertisement

nicknamehelp Tue 22-Dec-20 21:55:23

I have them to use as and when. Was having a complete melt down yesterday within 10 mins of taking them I was able to function again.

TheChosenTwo Tue 22-Dec-20 21:55:43

Yes, as a pp said, perhaps have an early evening bath, then take half, watch some tv or do some colouring (my favourite mind calming activity along with crossword books!) and then take the other half as you get into bed. I should think as you haven’t slept in so long, this will slow you down enough for your body to realise it actually needs to sleep.
Really hope it brings you some respite OP, it sounds like you’re going through a really hard time.

profilechange Tue 22-Dec-20 21:57:31

I took these for anxiety as and when I needed to. Worked immediately, could almost feel the calm come over me

SwankySharky Tue 22-Dec-20 21:59:04

I am so so grateful to everyone - i didn't get to talk to anyone after the decision was made and I genuinely cannot remember what is was like before when I had them as it was years ago.

I think I may order myself a colouring book - I am usually outdoors to calm down but got told to shield again so need something new to do in doors (that isn't mumsnet).

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 22-Dec-20 22:01:30

You still dream on melatonin, you don’t get drowsy but if your in a comfy bed in the dark they sort of push you over the edge into sleep.

SwankySharky Tue 22-Dec-20 22:05:12

Oh Ok, do you have a link or is it a prescribed thing that I need to ask for?

DigitalChristmas Tue 22-Dec-20 22:09:14

@SwankySharky I don’t think anyone has mentioned this but don’t mix diazepam and alcohol.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 22-Dec-20 22:11:09

You can try but for some reason they don’t like px them in this country. We have a reputation apparently in the uk for under prescribing but in the us they seem to px highly addictive opiates like their junior disprin so which is the better approach?.

Google melatonin and loads of companies come up.

SwankySharky Tue 22-Dec-20 22:11:58

@DigitalChristmas thank you. I actually had quit drinking for months until this week but yes, I won't and it makes sense not to. As much as i want to sleep I want to wake up as well (maybe in june 2021 though at the moment)

DigitalChristmas Tue 22-Dec-20 22:14:29

@SwankySharky you can get through this. Sounds strange but do you think you might sleep better on the sofa? Your brain won’t associate the sofa with the expectation of sleep so you might get a little respite from the racing/traumatic thoughts which seem to escalate at night.

OmarListening Tue 22-Dec-20 22:15:49

The only otc thing that works for me is kirklands sleep tablets. Zoplicone gave me hangovers and melatonin gives me nightmares.

Diazepam is great for getting you out of the insomnia cycle though. Often if I get into a cycle I can't get out of it because I'll be so worried about not being able to fall asleep before bed that I'll be in an anxious state by the time I try to go to sleep, therefore I won't be able to sleep because I'm so wound up about it. But as everyone says diazepam is addictive so save it for getting yourself out of the cycles. It's great stuff.

SwankySharky Tue 22-Dec-20 22:18:34

I have tried the sofa but it has a street light outside and it has big shadows when people walk past (like magnified) as the curtains our not black out.

I think i am going to get through tonight, then get some sleep tomorrow, talk to the mental health team as well (maybe before sleep) and then try and make a new plan for the next few days

Candleabra Tue 22-Dec-20 22:22:28

I've taken diazepam after severe trauma. I hadn't slept for days and I was prescribed 6 tablets a day! I took one a day. It felt like a reset button for my brain, I took them for about 5 days and they really calmed me down and helped me to sleep. But they're not a long term solution, and I can see how you could become dependent very quickly.

PandemicPavolova Tue 22-Dec-20 22:25:58

I'm a huge fan, I've had to use them at deeply traumatic times and I have found just one helps massively, helps me deeply relax, helps me sleep... I've also had to take one for spasms... Again work like a dream.

TheChosenTwo Tue 22-Dec-20 22:26:56

If you are shielding, do you have access to a private garden? Could be nice to just get out do some weeding! Sounds strange I know. I’m not a gardener (I like being in the garden when it’s hot and sunny but not apart from that) but I was in isolation for a few days last week waiting for a test result and really missing my morning run.
I set myself a little task of just going out and weeding a square of the lawn every day. Obviously in the grand scheme of things I now just have 3 squares of weed free (ish) grass for a while but it was nice to zone out, have some fresh air and occupy my mind with something constructive.
Obviously not applicable if you don’t have a patch of grass to tend to grin

SwankySharky Tue 22-Dec-20 22:28:54

I do have a garden but I am slightly worried that I have upset the neighbours when I was dissosciated as I have huge chunks of missing time all over the place (most of the time I worry I am going to get arrested for something I have done in the missing time, but right now we have switched back to worrying that the neighbours are upset with me)

SwankySharky Wed 23-Dec-20 10:33:23

I have taken half a tablet, going to call the mental health team in a bit.

Unfortunately woke up to police lights on my street which has caused panic overload again. They are still here but in another house.

Going to do some cleaning up, talk to the team and then see if I need another half a tablet.

TheChosenTwo Wed 23-Dec-20 11:30:28

Good luck with it today, do you feel any calmer since taking the first half? Have you sat down since?

SwankySharky Wed 23-Dec-20 11:55:09

I actually took the other half (only because I had a slightly unwanted visitor come around suddenly, I mean wanted at any other time just not at the moment).

I am in lying in bed watching some netflix with weighted blanket and hot water bottle. I have a 250 pound John Lewis voucher to spend so I am going to get some calming activities from there if I can find things. And I am getting a takeaway for lunch.

A day of no expectations of myself.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in