Homeschooling

(6 Posts)
Bells2018 Tue 22-Dec-20 08:33:57

Hi, I’m new on here but would like to get people opinions on homeschooling throughout this pandemic. My eldest son is 15 and trying to get him to do anything to do with school is like pulling teeth! He has really slipped behind and his grades are slipping no matter how much me and my husband go on at him and help him, I know a few of my friends boys are the same.
Now I’m concerned that these children will be the forgotten ones as they are not doing GCSES this year but the year after and I feel my son is missing a year of school (an important year) I feel that some of these children could do with redoing at least some of the year. I wonder if there would be anything in place for this year of children?
What are people’s thoughts?
I hope this makes sense ☺️
Thank you 😊

OP’s posts: |
Bearnecessity Tue 22-Dec-20 09:34:54

The best place for your son is in school imo, they are well aware of the recovery work needed because of missed work upcoming exams will also be graded reflecting the affects of covid. I would only allow your ds to be home-schooled if you are confident that you can get him to do the recovery work and ongoing work and take exams with no support or preparation from qualified teachers. He needs four good GCSE's inc maths and English no matter to how he is feeling now. You have my sympathies it is a strange, weird world right now and our young people are suffering hugely because of it, but we need to dig in and keep them on the right course for their benefit in a hopefully better and less weird future.

Bells2018 Tue 22-Dec-20 09:47:55

Thank you for your reply but I think you have misunderstood what I’m trying to get across (probably the way I’ve worded things)
I’m talking about from the start of the pandemic when all kids had to stay home, teenage boys can be hard to get to do school work especially if it’s mum or dad trying to teach them, because of this my son has fallen behind. What I’m asking really is do people think the government will forget these children or give them an extra year or something along them line? Thanks

OP’s posts: |
TeenPlusTwenties Tue 22-Dec-20 09:54:08

I don't think they'll get an extra year (though you can take 3 years in the 6th form if needed).

I think that boundaries will de facto be a bit lower, and also, maybe, that some of the 'this year only' changes to GCSEs may actually be extended to current y10s as well.

Bearnecessity Tue 22-Dec-20 13:56:23

Hi there, they haven't been forgotten...as I said the 'recovery' work which I mentioned upthread is the work that the teachers and Government are well aware was patchy and needs working on. I very much doubt they will add on a year, reduce grading boundaries and try to recover the gaps there after and do everything to try and make sure further gaps are not created is more likely imo.

Truelymadlydeeplysomeonesmum Tue 22-Dec-20 14:08:03

I've got a year 10 boy and have a lot of worries about the disruption to his education too.
Mine actually is good at cracking on with his school work but he definitely is suffering from online lesson fatigue. First lockdown and them three weeks just recently.
On top of that he had teachers off isolating regularly this term. It leads to a real problem with their GCSE work.
Initially I was just relieved this wasn't his exam school year but now I see it will be almost as bad for year 10 kids as well.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in