Does anyone remember the hygge craze?

(62 Posts)
sheldonsgreenwithenvy Mon 21-Dec-20 20:16:38

I feel in need of some hygge. And it seems so long ago when life was all about the cosy socks.

What hyggelig things will you do this Christmas.

After the year we have ahd I am thinking of baileys coffee every morning, but might manage to resist.

But, more seriously I am going for Boxing day walk and picnic at the beach.

Bring it on.

OP’s posts: |
Northernsoullover Mon 21-Dec-20 20:17:41

Remember it ? I'm still in it!

newstart1234 Mon 21-Dec-20 20:20:21

My favourite hygge thing is lighting candles on the table in the morning. It’s just so lovely and relaxing way to start the day.

sheldonsgreenwithenvy Mon 21-Dec-20 20:21:41

Northernsoullover

Remember it ? I'm still in it!

That's the way. smile I shall take inspiration as i have largely forgotten it. smile

sheldonsgreenwithenvy Mon 21-Dec-20 20:22:33

newstart1234

My favourite hygge thing is lighting candles on the table in the morning. It’s just so lovely and relaxing way to start the day.

Nice!

I like that idea. smile

I am feeling more peaceful already. thanks.

SockDrawer Mon 21-Dec-20 20:23:33

I am thinking of baileys coffee every morning, but might manage to resist.
From now until New Years this sounds perfect.

EnPoinsettia Mon 21-Dec-20 20:24:35

SockDrawer

*I am thinking of baileys coffee every morning, but might manage to resist.*
From now until New Years this sounds perfect.

I concur

Advertisement

sheldonsgreenwithenvy Mon 21-Dec-20 20:25:49

problem is I have to work until Christmas eve!

[after that though...]

RoobyMyrtle Mon 21-Dec-20 20:29:17

My entire life is lived in pursuit of cozy so I've never abandoned the craze. I'll continue to snuggle up with a blanket, fire and eating comfort foods indoors and out

Ultimateblends Mon 21-Dec-20 20:32:59

I'm off to Google this now, but this sounds like the movement for me! Would love to see as many ideas as possible!

N0tfinished Mon 21-Dec-20 20:37:55

Is 'self care' the 2020 version of hygge?

We light a fire every night, mostly for the cosy factor.

GloGirl Mon 21-Dec-20 20:42:34

I want more of this thread please! I'm very late to the party but a lot of it felt impractical when the children were smaller

sheldonsgreenwithenvy Mon 21-Dec-20 20:44:04

mmmmm.....

thanks for joining. smile

I used to have afternoon tea at the weekends complete with crumpets and Bonne maman chestnut jam. That was very happy-making.

HelloCanYouHearMe Mon 21-Dec-20 20:44:23

I'm still all over hygge. It's mugs of milky coffee, hot chocolate and cinnamon buns, dressing gowns, throws, soft lighting, candles and spending hours on video calls with DP or being snuggled up on the sofa for movie afternoons with DS(5)

Xmas this year will be long walks irrespective of weather and coming in to warm drinks, comfy seats and cuddles for me

katy1213 Mon 21-Dec-20 20:44:47

I've eaten half the Christmas cake. Does that count? Always feel more hygge with an extra roll of fat come New Year.

TheDogsMother Mon 21-Dec-20 20:46:19

Hold on !! Has Hygge ended ! I am wearing my Danish jumper, have the log burner lit and candles around the room. Off to find the fur throw now.

sheldonsgreenwithenvy Mon 21-Dec-20 20:46:42

katy1213

I've eaten half the Christmas cake. Does that count? Always feel more hygge with an extra roll of fat come New Year.

It all counts!

(christmas cake with butter and cheese..... mmm)

sheldonsgreenwithenvy Mon 21-Dec-20 20:47:39

TheDogsMother

Hold on !! Has Hygge ended ! I am wearing my Danish jumper, have the log burner lit and candles around the room. Off to find the fur throw now.

It only ended for me because I am not great at multi-tasking. So this year hygge went out the window and pure survival came in.

I'm ready for Hygge The Sequel

LuvMyBoyz Mon 21-Dec-20 20:48:20

We put twinkling lights on in the conservatory every morning and have our coffee together. It’s heated but we have blankets to stay as cosy as possible. Watching the daylight come in and listening to the garden birds is a great way to start the day.

TheRealJeanLouise Mon 21-Dec-20 20:48:34

More people that never stopped hygge-ing over here.
Blankets on the sofa for use not decoration.
Loose leaf tea brewed in a pot.
Wood fire burning.
Crumpets and cake on a Sunday whilst watching....
Period dramas.
Knitting/crocheting.
Gingerbread.

RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock73 Mon 21-Dec-20 20:52:14

I still hygge am snuggled up under a faux fur blanket with lots of twinkly lights and the fire going. It's about the only thing that's keeping me sane at the moment with all the doom and gloom

Audreyseyebrows Mon 21-Dec-20 20:52:15

It’s never gone.

For me reading a book, lighting the fire and some candles, wrapping up in warm blankets and drinking hot chocolate is my daily wind down. I also like a long bubble bath, long walks and baking bread.
The most hyggelig thing for me is chatting and laughing with my children.

Ardnassa Mon 21-Dec-20 20:57:00

Very into hygge. Daily croissant and coffee on my little coffee table. Daily early morning walks in the park, making soups and stews.

Taking the time to keep in touch with friends, send Christmas cards and decorate the flat for Christmas and with candles and soft lighting too.

sheldonsgreenwithenvy Mon 21-Dec-20 20:57:40

Ardnassa

Very into hygge. Daily croissant and coffee on my little coffee table. Daily early morning walks in the park, making soups and stews.

Taking the time to keep in touch with friends, send Christmas cards and decorate the flat for Christmas and with candles and soft lighting too.

Lovely. smile

Somersetlevel Mon 21-Dec-20 20:59:43

We have fairy lights and candles all year around. Perfection.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in