After extensive research the winner of the best Mince Pie 2020 goes to ......

(26 Posts)
TheDogsMother Mon 21-Dec-20 16:39:07

M & S Collection Mince Pies. Tah Dah !!!!

I've eaten many mince pies so you don't have to and these ones are delicious. Or does anyone think they can be bettered ?

OP’s posts: |
JustCallMeGriffin Mon 21-Dec-20 16:45:01

Iceland luxury ones are still hands down the nicest for me...although I will concede that this year I haven't tried the full range because going to all the major outlets just for mince pies is frowned upon in covid times (missing Waitrose and Tesco from my list this year).

One year Aldi did a blackforest version that I would happily have started a supermarket argument to get a box of!

Wbeezer Mon 21-Dec-20 16:46:21

You're both wrong, the best mince pies are my homemade ones!

Frouby Mon 21-Dec-20 16:48:00

Aldi did some with an almond topping, absolutely gorgeous. Went in last week to stock up and they only had salted caramel crumble topped ones. Lovely but preferred the almond ones.

EnPoinsettia Mon 21-Dec-20 16:49:07

Wheat Free Bakery Direct, the shortcrust ones.

RumJerrySailorRum Mon 21-Dec-20 16:52:05

Aldi. Holly Lane is the brand I think.

Delicious.

I will accept they may not be the best, but they're good enough for me and I can't be bothered wasting time and money trying any others.

Box of 6 for less than 90p

ouchmyfeet Mon 21-Dec-20 16:53:17

Heston's spiced lemon ones are awesome

Advertisement

RumJerrySailorRum Mon 21-Dec-20 16:53:35

Oh, Aldi do flavoured ones too, my nephew loves the salted caramel ones but I like mine plain and and simple.

JustCallMeGriffin Mon 21-Dec-20 16:54:48

Wbeezer

You're both wrong, the best mince pies are my homemade ones!

Ah now homemade ones are a different level altogether and deserve their own category...but shop bought I stand by my Iceland declaration.

This year I've actually paid attention to how many calories are in a mince pie. To attempt to stop my laborious 1 stone weight loss that's taken since August from being annihilated in one swoop I'm now exercising vigorously at least an hour every day. So far I've only gained half a lb which I can live with for mince pie deliciousness grin

randomsabreuse Mon 21-Dec-20 16:57:45

Lidl have blackforest crumple topped mince pies. Also salted caramel crumble topped ones. They're much too nice to be allowed!

VanillaSugarCakes Mon 21-Dec-20 16:57:47

Mine are the best as I used a Mary Berry recipe with orange shortcrust pastry and I added extra brandy to my homemade mincemeat halo

Wbeezer Mon 21-Dec-20 16:59:37

I do like bought mince pies too, if they have buttery pastry but I always find the pastry a bit soft have any of you found any with structural integrity? In case I need some extras in an emergency.

TheDogsMother Mon 21-Dec-20 17:01:01

@Wbeezer Unfortunately I didn't get access to your mince pies but agree that homemade are another level

OP’s posts: |
Wbeezer Mon 21-Dec-20 17:01:37

@VanillaSugarCakes I'm with you on the brandy and might borrow the orange pastry idea...

missmouse101 Mon 21-Dec-20 17:02:30

Asda in the red box are fabulous this year!

Wbeezer Mon 21-Dec-20 17:03:46

I didnt mean to come over show-offy by the way, I was just trying to be vaguely amusing... I'll get my coat.

Whoateallthestuffingballs Mon 21-Dec-20 17:04:05

No, Walkers are the best! They are about 98 percent butter or something, which might explain their deliciousness.

rollinggreenhills Mon 21-Dec-20 17:05:06

@Wbeezer Structural integrity and mince pies don't really go together, do they?

MIL swears by the Iceland mince pies. Her biddies club did a taste testing session a few years ago. They sampled loads of the things, and Iceland came out on top by quite a margin.

ChickNorris Mon 21-Dec-20 17:05:06

I really liked the Tesco finest mince pies. They actually do two versions - one has a 'solid top' (not sure how else to describe it) and the other is crumble topped. Now, I don't even like mince pies that much but I could happily eat the crumble topped version all year round. Alas, they now seem to have sold out in my local Tesco. cries

greyinganddecaying Mon 21-Dec-20 17:05:41

Tebay mince pies are definitely the best

Mytholmroyd Mon 21-Dec-20 17:06:28

Thomas the Baker's are the best I have had taste homemade but are not- but I think shops are only in Yorkshire

Tavannach Mon 21-Dec-20 17:08:17

Iceland Luxury here. Delicious - I heat them and add a good dollop of brandy cream from the Co-op.

FatGirlShrinking Mon 21-Dec-20 17:08:19

@Frouby Aldi have the black forest ones this year, saw them the other day but on a diet so didn't buy. Did hover for a minute thinking about it though 😆

Wbeezer Mon 21-Dec-20 17:13:27

@Whoateallthestuffingballs mine do but my pastry has so much butter and sugar in it it's practically shortbread.

Wbeezer Mon 21-Dec-20 17:14:59

That should have been @rollinggreenhills in my post ^

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in