Woodpecker

(10 Posts)
Tyke2 Mon 21-Dec-20 09:22:12

I thought Woodpeckers were "pecking" in spring time? but there is one hammering away outside my window now 21st December?

OP’s posts: |
stella1know Mon 21-Dec-20 09:24:19

They eat all year round grin They peck away at bark to get to the insects underneath. They aren’t making a nest at this time.

If you put fat balls out for them, in a long vertical feeder, they will be very grateful. Lucky to have them, enjoy the view.

BambooWhoosh Mon 21-Dec-20 09:25:42

I think they do that anytime to look for insects under the bark. Lovely to hear it though.

JayAlfredPrufrock Mon 21-Dec-20 09:26:25

Fabulous sound.

dudsville Mon 21-Dec-20 09:36:09

We have a beautiful one in my area, red up top and a polka dot body. Fabulous birds.

abstractzebra Mon 21-Dec-20 09:56:41

I've been looking for a woodpecker along my way for about 2 years now! I can hear him somewhere along a section of old railway near my house.
I've not seen him once sad
I might try and lure him with fat balls grin

GerundTheBehemoth Mon 21-Dec-20 10:27:53

They peck at bark to find food all year round. From late winter/early spring they 'drum', as their version of territorial song, this is a very, very fast series of taps on a resonant branch - each burst of drumming lasts about two seconds and almost sounds more like a creak than like fast tapping.

Advertisement

stella1know Mon 21-Dec-20 10:41:08

They need a long feeder (3 or 4 fatballs tall) because they use their stiff tails to balance against the feeder. They can’t eat well if there is only one ball left in the feeder or if it is too short or curved. And they are good at breaking into the fatballs so that Smaller birds can nibble better.

Tyke2 Mon 21-Dec-20 11:54:44

I've seen him in the tree as there is no foliage to hide him away.

OP’s posts: |
InvisibleToEveryone Mon 21-Dec-20 12:11:48

We have a red headed woodpecker, it eats the sunflower seeds!

We had parakeets last week, and a sparrowhawk not long ago too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in