Talk

Advanced search

I've been offered an interview but I can't attend 😔

(110 Posts)
Dickorydockwhatthe Mon 23-Nov-20 17:13:07

As its in working hours. I work 9am until 3pm term time so I'm not allowed time off due to ratios, even though I'm on a zero hour contract which one of the reasons I want to leave 😔. I don't want to call in sick and lie. My interview time is at 2.30 and via zoom I just don't know what I should I do? They have sent an email so should I reply by email or ring to say I can't attend or ask to change the time.

OP’s posts: |
Rhine Mon 23-Nov-20 17:14:37

Pull a sickie. I’m assuming you work in a school? People do it all the time.

zoomiecraziness Mon 23-Nov-20 17:14:39

Just ask if they can change the time 🤷🏻‍♀️

merlotormalbec Mon 23-Nov-20 17:15:20

I've always had to phone in sick to attend interviews because I could never get the time off. Just have to do it.

Smallsteps88 Mon 23-Nov-20 17:16:32

Firstly ask to change the time, if that’s not possible call in sick.

Aquamarine1029 Mon 23-Nov-20 17:17:26

If you want to leave your job, do not pass on this interview.

MyFavouritePlace Mon 23-Nov-20 17:18:13

Say you have a doctor's appointment and it can't be changed.

BecomeStronger Mon 23-Nov-20 17:19:11

Interviews are always in work time, schools are used to allowing time off for them.

edwinbear Mon 23-Nov-20 17:19:11

I'd see if it can be moved to say 3.30pm. I wouldn't mind if an interviewee asked to make the time slightly later because they will be working, it shows loyalty. Obviously do say though that if it's difficult for them, then you will juggle things around to attend at 2.30pm, then pull a sickie.

BecomeStronger Mon 23-Nov-20 17:21:43

BecomeStronger

Interviews are always in work time, schools are used to allowing time off for them.

Have you actually asked for time off?

ineedaholidaynow Mon 23-Nov-20 17:24:32

If you pull a sickie will you then be needing a reference?

Dickorydockwhatthe Mon 23-Nov-20 17:26:13

I've only just received the email this afternoon, to say I've been shortlisted. I work in a nursery. My manager relies on me a lot so this will be a big blow, so I'm worried she will say no to spoil the opportunity for me so I won't leave her in it in which case I will only want to leave even more 😔

Dickorydockwhatthe Mon 23-Nov-20 17:27:51

Yes I will need a reference, I also have to give 6 weeks notice and yet I'm supposidly on a zero hour contract but have been working 30 hours per week 😕

LemonBreeland Mon 23-Nov-20 17:29:51

You need to pull a sickie or emergency dr/dentist appointment. You can't miss out on the job. If you aren't going to attend during work hours then you may as well not apply for anything else.

It's something we've all had to do at one time or another.

vanillandhoney Mon 23-Nov-20 17:30:53

Just ask them for a different time.

WalkingMeAway Mon 23-Nov-20 17:30:58

You don’t have to give notice on a Zero Hours contract.

MrsDThomas Mon 23-Nov-20 17:32:12

Doctors. That’s what i did. But dont do it once then get the job, do it again the following week or it too obvious.

DuzzyFuck Mon 23-Nov-20 17:32:39

Have you asked if they can change the interview time? I've had a few interviews recently and there was only one instance where it couldn't be moved to a time that didn't clash with my work. Employers know that people have to fit interviews round work!

BecomeStronger Mon 23-Nov-20 17:33:23

I think you need to tell, not ask your boss. You can do it in a pseudo asking way "just to let you know I've got an interview tomorrow, sorry it's such short notice but it can't be helped, hope that's OK"

People shouldn't worry about references, apart from confirming that you actually worked where you said you did, no one cares what they actually say.

Everythingmagnolia Mon 23-Nov-20 17:33:43

Just explain and ask to change the time?

Nikhedonia Mon 23-Nov-20 17:33:45

* Yes I will need a reference, I also have to give 6 weeks notice*

Under a zero hours contract you just refuse the hours offered during the 6 week period. They don't need to offer you the hours and you don't need to do them under this type of contract.

Openthecurtains45 Mon 23-Nov-20 17:35:34

Just ask them for an alternative time hmm

If they can’t give you a time that works just pull a sicky.

Crystal87 Mon 23-Nov-20 17:36:04

Doctors or emergency dental appointment. If you want this job you need to prioritise it and make sure you do it. Good luck.

Dickorydockwhatthe Mon 23-Nov-20 17:38:29

Nikhedonia

* Yes I will need a reference, I also have to give 6 weeks notice*

Under a zero hours contract you just refuse the hours offered during the 6 week period. They don't need to offer you the hours and you don't need to do them under this type of contract.

If only this was the reality but it really isn't, but yes they can drop my hours but yet if I want time I've for a holiday I have to write to the committee. I've worked here 9 years so have no other references so need to leave on good terms even when it's on all their terms 😢

captainprincess Mon 23-Nov-20 17:39:42

It's annoying but just ask for an alternative time surely? Failing that, doctors appt.... good luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in