Talk

Advanced search

Zoom activities for teen boys

(8 Posts)
Rae36 Thu 19-Nov-20 09:54:23

I am trying to think of zoom type activities for a group of teenage boys, age 13-18, anywhere between 10 and 15 of them, to do together.

We've done a quiz, we've had guests to talk, we've done a cooking challenge. Any other genius ideas?

We're desperately hoping we'll get permission to meet in person soon but it's not looking likely right now.

Can anyone suggest any sort of craft activity or something, I don't know. I know online escape rooms can be good but maybe there are too many boys?

It's so hard to keep their attention but we really want to keep them together until we can meet in person again.

OP’s posts: |
FortunesFave Thu 19-Nov-20 09:58:28

Really? Aren't they keen to manage their own Zoom calls? confused I genuinely cannot imagine boys (and young men!) of these ages enjoying a managed activity via Zoom!

I have teens by the way! Is it a Scout group or something?

I'm probably being judgy.

What about getting someone to write a short script...or get them all to have a go and then do read throughs on Zoom like those famous actors did with that movie recently....Fast Times at Ridgemont High
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaZsPh6uyWg

Have a watch of that...boys of this age could do any number of movies...if you're stuck, let me know and I'll help you with where to get the scripts online.

confusedofengland Thu 19-Nov-20 10:43:18

My DS1 does Scouts on Zoom, age of boys (& 1 girl) 10-14. They have done the things you've listed plus:

- Scavenger hunt with items spelling out a word or themed
- Bingo
- Virtual hike using Morse code (ie you spell out in Morse code various destinations & they have to decode them)
- Virtual hike using maps
- Cubs (8-10.5) have also done science experiments

Rae36 Thu 19-Nov-20 10:53:04

I'm probably being judgy

Wow, yes that is quite judgy. They are a youth group. They are quite a range of ages and personalities so it's good to have a facilitator to make sure everyone gets a turn to contribute. They come up with their own ideas but it's always good to have new and different ones too. It's a long time till spring which realistically is when they can meet up in person. The 18 yr olds won't realistically stick around much longer but we're keen to keep the younger ones together.

OP’s posts: |
Poppystars Thu 19-Nov-20 10:56:38

Could you do an online camp, like Scouts do with a theme? Make a den, have a virtual campfire and sketches or talent show or songs? Have challenges to do in the day linked to your theme?

FortunesFave Thu 19-Nov-20 13:17:52

Rae Well I did admit it ...AND then came up with a suggestion.

IsThisNameTaken Thu 19-Nov-20 13:19:55

Online escape rooms?

IsThisNameTaken Thu 19-Nov-20 13:21:56

Sorry, just saw you mentioned escape rooms in your post OP! We've done escape rooms for 15+ Scouts, but put them into 3 breakout rooms - so competing against each other.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in